Jbag

difference between phantom 2/ phantom 2z

The Phantom2z was introduced a year and a half ago, with some subtle updates on the Phantom2 (not deemed big enough to warent a Phantom3 name).

The changes are roughly these:

• slightly longer legwing (a difference of only a few cm).
  • The zipper rigging (which was the reason for the added 'z'). Since midway 2009, the full PF range features this 'over the shoulder' system. Recently all PF suits received an update in the zippers as well (stronger/thicker ones). Following Jii-Wings, Sfly and Tony with regards to ease of use.
  • Reworked cutaway system. Still offering the safety/backup feature, re-routed nicely to work as a seperate system from the rigging/attachment setup.
  • Changed inlet design, adopting the armpit 'ram air' intake, thats become standard on many suits since its introduction on the V3. Freeing up the arms, with a smooth/clean leading edge, and inflating wings regardles of flight angle (flat, headlow or headdown)

• The arm/inlet position and zippers make it quite easy to spot the difference.

Mylar inserts in the legwing are optional.
    We are looking at offering an ankle gripper as a future option on the P2z, Ghost and Shadow if there is an interest there...(speak up;))
    JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?

I, for one, who jumps a Phantom2z, would love to have extra leg/anckle grippers for a larger range of docking possibilities. I'm hoping I can send my Phantom2z to the factory this winter, to add an extra leg cell for more range in forward distance and speed, and would also like to instal those grippers on the legs/anckles, as
    I have already mentioned. So yeah, I personally would be very interested in seeing the further development of extra options in current wingsuit models/designs. :)

"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

Eli, with your suit being stock, and not custom tailored, in case of a tight fit, there was talk about a minor leg/booty extention.
    But seeing the suit fits fine, and knowing your weight (feather-like;)) more fabric wont do much for you besides tipping the suit off balance (especialy for backflying), and although adding more drive on the leg, it would also add more fabric=drag. You're a skinny dude!

I think eating more, or bringing more lead to 'up' your wingload is where you can improve fwd drive the most.
    Next to just flying a lot...

You have a great suit, perfect for your bodysize. Nothing that needs upgrades or tinkering if you ask me;)

Maybe see you saterday!

JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?

your problem is actually that you live in a place where u cant jump in the winter and you have time to send it into the factory !

move to california, marry a laker girl, and open a medical ganja dispensery. problem solved !!!

see u on the edge soon !
    dont let life pass you by

your problem is actually that you live in a place where u cant jump in the winter and you have time to send it into the factory !

We jump all year round. From sweaty palms to frozen fingers. If weather permits, we are a'flying! And that includes winterB|
    JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?

I was told that it wouldn't be that tough to add an extra cell at the leg wing. But seeing that mutiple voices here say that it won't really increase range in distance/speed and add more drag, then I am inclined not to add that extra cell. I would love to have those extra lag/anckle grippers though! :)

Eli, with your suit being stock, and not custom tailored, in case of a tight fit, there was talk about a minor leg/booty extention. But seeing the suit fits fine, and knowing your weight (feather-like;)) more fabric wont do much for you besides tipping the suit off balance (especialy for backflying), and although adding more drive on the leg, it would also add more fabric=drag. You're a skinny dude!

Hmm, If you, and other expierienced flyers here, say that adding an extra legwing cell has more dowsides to it then benefits, then I think I will drop the leg extension/widening idea. And I definitely don't want it to affect my backflying because I'm just getting the hang of it. Thank you kindly everybody for the reply's and information!

I think eating more, or bringing more lead to 'up' your wingload is where you can improve forward drive the most. Next to just flying a lot...

Eating more is not going to happen :) I'l just carry some lead under my suit, like I have succesfully done before a few times.

You have a great suit, perfect for your bodysize. Nothing that needs upgrades or tinkering if you ask me;)

I love my Phantom2z. It is an awesome suit! You can do almost anything with it in the air. Acro, backfly, distance, speed and even time. I'd still like to have those anckle/leg grippers installed though for an increase in docking possibilities.

Maybe see you saterday!

I will be there for sure. If weather cooporates I will be there the next 8 days. Looking forward to making some more wingsuit jumps with you. Oh btw, it would be awesome if you could film me in that Stealth1. I'm gonna try to beat the record of 2:31 seconds from 12000ft to 3000ft that I did last week and would love some outside video! :) I would also like some backfly coaching if that's possible. Me flying on my back the whole jump with you flying above me for video and to point out the direction to fly in, if I'm flying off course/wrong direction. If you have the time off course.

Ah, I guess I misunderstood then :) But as you say. The suit fits me good. It is a bit tight though, but I kinda like that. That way when I stretch out I can 'put tension on the suit' (can't find another way to put it into words). That way I can get really good performance out of my Phantom2z. Attached is a pic of me in my Phantom2z (green), my teammate Bavo in a Stealth2 (white-red) and one of our good wingsuiting friends Hans in a Ghost2 with Shadow option (black-orange) i.e. no grippers. Kuddos to our teammate Bart for taking this very nice pic! :)

Edited to add video of Phantom2z front loop and barrel roll practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wURxnrJIIM

Well, we CAN jump, it's just not really very comfy. Our C-206 has a door made of fabric and I doest close everywhere so it lets in quite alot of wind, wich makes it a really fucking cold plane ride up :) I will be jumping in the winter, but not as much as I am now in the summer, so that might be a good time to send in my suit for those anckle/leg gripper modifications.

I wish I could move to California, trust me! It's one of my all time dreams to work in the skydiving world :) But I don't have the money to do that sadly. And what would I do for a living/work when I get there? I gotta pay the jumps one way or another :)

I don't think any lakers girl would be interested in me, altough it wouldn't be same the other way around :P But that Mary-Jane dispensery sounds quite appealing :ph34r:

Not sure what the point of no grippers is on the size suit the Ghost 2 is but whatever.

Thats not an official option, but specific request from hans (gadget) for docking fun and flocking, where you'd normaly not use the grippers anyway (for those with a more 'positive wingload' gifted build)
    JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?