NathanL100

Wingsuits and Leg Mounted Pilot Chute Pouch

Hey y'all!!

Dang I've been away for a long ass time, stupid career.

Anywho... I'm getting back into the swing of things and was curious what the community's general opinion was about leg mounted pilot chute pouches on wingsuits. Prior to my hiatus, a leg pilot chute pouch was the new "hot dog" setup for base and skydiving, but people were starting to not bother with the leg pouch. From the brief skimming I've done of recent threads it appears that most people are sticking with BOC for skydiving at least. Is this correct? Or is the leg pouch with velcro shrivel flap still in use?
Base # 942
The race is long and in the end, its only with yourself.

With bigger wingsuits where wing covering the pilot chute is an issue, almost everyone uses the leg pouch in BASE and almost no one uses it in skydiving.

With the margins you have in skydiving the slightly faster and easier access to a leg mount PC is greatly outweighed by the additional snag and premature opening hazards (IMO).
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Cool, thx!

So I'm curious, and maybe I should have posted this to the base forum, but for people who wingsuit skydive and wingsuit base do y'all switch your pilot chute location depending on the venue?
Base # 942

Almost all of the new wingsuits have the leg straps inside the suite, so ROL would not even be an option. I have attached a few picture of an older suit to show this. As for the question on the BASE there is an option for a BASE pouch which you can see in the picture below the rig on the right side and yes they usaually switch placement of the pilot chute depending on the style of jump.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

ROL, OMG haha do they even make those any more? Nah, I'm talking base pouch on the WS.

I'm actually kinda surprised that people would be switching the location of their PC, I mean, why mess with the muscle memory? Maybe I'm being a complete n00b, but was there some crazy incident with a base pouch that has caused everyone to back away from their use in skydiving?
Base # 942

I'm actually kinda surprised that people would be switching the location of their PC, I mean, why mess with the muscle memory?

Well, when I'm on a BASE trip, unless I'm exclusively wingsuiting then I'll be switching between BOC for tracking and BASE pouch for wingsuiting anyway. I've never felt like having the 'wrong' muscle memory has been even remotely close to being an issue for me. It's a non-issue.

Maybe I'm being a complete n00b, but was there some crazy incident with a base pouch that has caused everyone to back away from their use in skydiving?

I think there are a few videos floating about of premature openings after funnelled exits etc. In the sky it's basically just added hassle and risk for no appreciable benefit.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?