CrazyDave

Ripcord

why arnt there huge piles of ripcord in farmers fields

For any drop zone that has been around a while, there usually is a good collection of skydiving debris in surrounding fields. Students lose ripcords often. Experienced jumpers lose them once in a while, along with helmets, gloves, shoes and other goodies.

It's not unusual to go walking around in the boonies looking for a cut-away main canopy, and to return with a few other extra items as a bonus.

I once had a helmet returned to me that had been missing for a year, by a student that had landed way out in a cow pasture. The only damage done to the helmet was that the cows had eaten the foam out of the inside, and left tooth scrape marks on it.

allways wondered this..... on my tandem video the rip cord appeared to come off in the instructors hand..... is this true? if so then why arnt there huge piles of ripcord in farmers fields in the lancashire area?

If your tandem instructor was jumping a Vector Sigma rig then he did drop it. The drogue release ripcords on Sigmas are bungeed inside the housing, preventing it from being lost.
Miami

allways wondered this..... on my tandem video the rip cord appeared to come off in the instructors hand..... is this true? if so then why arnt there huge piles of ripcord in farmers fields in the lancashire area?

If your tandem instructor was jumping a Vector Sigma rig then he did drop it. The drogue release ripcords on Sigmas are bungeed inside the housing, preventing it from being lost.

cheers... now if I ever jump off course then i will look for some gear.... not only can you jumnp out of planes. but u get al looky dip