bodypilot90

coming out of the harness on deployment.

With a Wingsuit you need to think abut the way the arm wings are attached to the body. Earlier suit designs laced up (front and back) of the wing both above and below where the MLW passes through the wing. This allows for the leg straps to be on the inside of the suit. There have been instinces where a WS jumper did not tighten the leg straps or didn't put them on but the design of the wings attached to the body above and below the MLW Pass Through prevented them from leaving the harness, i.e. the lacing of the wing above and below held and the system stayed together. Newer suits with the over the shoulder zips might not be as strong in this case but I am not trying to compare that towards your question.

Now with a chest strap you are entering a different dynamic of forces but with the lace front and back above and below the MLW pass through. It theoretically could be enough to hold. Not sure again on the zip style suits.. It would be hard to leave the harness with an above and below wing attachment making a more solid MLW "pass through" but not with a above only wing attachment seen with the Intro. On opening w/o a chest strap you can fall forward and then slip the rest of the way out, which has happened in the past on non-wingsuit jumps.

Since this thread most likely is coming out of the tragic incident in Sebastion, a thing to think about is the new training style of suit, the Intro. Before any conclusions are drawn I want to please note I am NOT saying the person was wearing an Intro but if it was a first or second WS jump student, the chance is good they may have been wearing an Intro. That said, I think the Intro when all gear items, Wingsuit and Harness/container are on correctly, is a fantastic training suit given its ease of use. That ease of use makes it a blend between a normal jump suit and a wingsuit where you don't have the lacing. The arm wing is not attached below the MLW pass through, though the leg straps still go inside the suit. In a no leg strap around the legs situation (not with Loose straps around the legs but with NO leg straps around the legs), you could slip through on an opening. The bottom portion of the arm wing is NOT attached providing a solid "pass through" and the cross connector (webbing between the MLW and the main tray/lower portion of the container will not be captured in that pass through as the bottom is not attached. This would result in a jumper leaving the container and falling away.

The bottom line is there are lots of ways to mess up and the wingsuits today can add in certian circumstances, a little bit of a chance to save your life when things are not hooked up correctly compared to a regular Jumpsiuit. i.e. the pass through reasons noted above. NOT something I would want to try and the best way to give yourself the best possible chance is to wear your gear correctly!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"