keithbar

MY WINGSUIT TRIED TO KILL ME!

o.k. just kidding but i did have an intresting 1st jump on my demo raptor. left the otter in an arch with the arm and leg wings collapsed after two seconds spread the wings and turned 90 deg from jump run started to fly was getting a lot of fwd and back wobble for quite a few seconds. got my legs wider and that seemed to help. turned back towards the dz and at around 7500 ft. the left hand wing suddenly cuttaway. it got pretty exciting for a few seconds. I tried to cutaway the right wing but that made me feel even more unstable. so after 2 attempts I just found a stable position and rode it till 4500 and dumped. this was the sunset load on sat. so I couldn't let it beat me so I had to do a couple more on sun. they went better. Is it normal to feel like you are pitched in a head low attitude when you are flying a w/s?
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

yep that's how the wings attach. but that suit appears to have openings? vents? outlined with black at the knee and ankle. my suit doesn't have them. and my suit has thumb loops. I have been told that the older raptors are not supposed to have thump loops. so go figure. so am I supposed to feel like my legs are higher than my head when I'm flying?
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

What appear to be vents in the pic are actually zippers to resize the suit for demos.

Many of the earlier suits that have the velcro body cutways had thumb loops. I have an Aerobat that has both.

The tipping forward to back, is related to bottom position. I have seen this with several students and different suits.

Typically they stall the suit and then go head low after the stall, or go head low then pull out --- regardless it starts a chain of over correction. Much like a car spinning out on ice and then one over correction leads to another.

Focus on relaxed, symetrical body position. Be mindful of your feet/legs, the Raptor tail (while not a SM1 or XS7) has a far amount of drive and not having your feet and legs symetrical will produce control issues.

Where are you located?
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com

There is only no thumb loops on the new no cutaway sleeve. Anything else (especially yours) will have them :-)

CHECK YOUR GEAR. If you jump with me, you will hear me yell it before jumprun. Grab your rsl clips, visually inspect them, and then give them a tug, AFTER you stand up. if they are not hooked, your wing release velcro will RELEASE.

DO NOT cut away that other wing if this happens. it only makes it worse. I have flown these wings unhooked, blown out, zippers open, etc.. they fly fine. you can compensate. two flapping wings are worse than one.

as far as the potato chipping (tipping back and forth) This is usually due to tension. RELAX is the best thing to do. stay symetrical, make sure your leg wing is opena all the way, and your arms open all the way. dont over stress it.

Justin

p.s. come to Sebastian this winter and fly with us.
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

thanks scott. I'm located in nashville tn. but I'm gonna be at the everglades boogie in clewiston fla. in late jan.

DO NOT cut away that other wing if this happens. it only makes it worse. I have flown these wings unhooked, blown out, zippers open, etc.. they fly fine. you can compensate. two flapping wings are worse than one.

thanks for the info. glad to know that. after I tried to grab it and decided it was better to leave well enough alone. I actually had the thought while in free fall that another one of those quick releases flapping around on the same side as my pull hand prob. wasn't a good thing.

thanks for the info. glad to know that. after I tried to grab it and decided it was better to leave well enough alone. I actually had the thought while in free fall that another one of those quick releases flapping around on the same side as my pull hand prob. wasn't a good thing.

Who was it that gave you your first flight course? :S This should have been covered in it.....
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

these wern't my actual 1st w/s suit jumps. so a few years back when I demo'ed a birdman classic I did talk to a few people and jumped with a friend. I'm hoping to get some instruction down in clewiston in jan.

these wern't my actual 1st w/s suit jumps. so a few years back when I demo'ed a birdman classic I did talk to a few people and jumped with a friend. I'm hoping to get some instruction down in clewiston in jan.

The people you said you spoke with before your jumps years ago in your PM to me were good people to talk with, but they should have given you better training, even with a Classic. Different suits have the same, or very different emergency procedures, you should always get the correct instruction on how to operate it before you exit an aircraft with one. It doesn't hurt to get recurrency training as well for some of the things you may have forgotten.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

thanks for everyone's help.. hey how about everyone come to the everglades boogie in clewiston jan 22 thru 26 and I'll bring the beer and jello shots for every bird on the d.z. for at least one night if not several. who's up for it? is there an approved bird brand of beer? besides FREE! :ph34r:;);););)

thanks for everyone's help.. hey how about everyone come to the everglades boogie in clewiston jan 22 thru 26 and I'll bring the beer and jello shots for every bird on the d.z. for at least one night if not several. who's up for it? is there an approved bird brand of beer? besides FREE! :ph34r:;);););)

Cuz Sebastian over Xmas is gonna be more fun, and sooner?:D