leroydb

Glide Rate

Is there a way to get a general raw idea about glide rate based off of exit alititude, pull altitude, and freefall time?

Example:

exit alititude 12000
pull altitude 2100
freefall time 1:22 (82 sec)

(using phoenix fly track suit)

Le Roy
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

then"

10000 ft / 82 sec = 121.95ft per sec = 83mph

not bad for a tracking dive?

If slow falling is your meassure of succes...then yea...not bad..
Though a camerasuit could probably get you better results in terms of slow falling, and say about the same as to how effective your track isB|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I was not necessarily saying it was special. I was actually +/- 2 miles away from the DZ upon exit and tracked with the plane for 15 sec... So the "focus" was more on speed... ie: getting my ass back to the DZ.:)
none the less, an 82 sec freefall is like 3 skydives for some people :o:P

Its all good... the more time in the air the better!

Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I was not necessarily saying it was special. I was actually +/- 2 miles away from the DZ upon exit and tracked with the plane for 15 sec... So the "focus" was more on speed... ie: getting my ass back to the DZ.:)
none the less, an 82 sec freefall is like 3 skydives for some people :o:P

Its all good... the more time in the air the better!

Wasnt saying it wasnt good/special or anything either..
Its just that when you look at tracking/wingsuit, its very possible to fly for distance at speeds of 150 mph downward, just as its possible to fly at 30 mph speeds and hardly cover any ground...

So freefalltime in itself is a great thing (I love 'floating' at breakoff) but its not really a guide as to how good or bad you are actually flying (wingsuit or tracking).
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

how would you have replied to my post if I didnt put this in:
"not bad for a tracking dive? "

The same...maybe thrown in a few pony references and one or two bad jokes...but in general...yea...100% the same
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

if reality hurt... that would only tickle:o

Actually ment that as a negative comment towards myself..but always glad to accidently tickle someone elseB|

Enjoy tracking..get a GPS if you want some distance/glide figures you can use as a rough estemate (though it will only take 5 seconds before the GPS sux brigade chimes inB|)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?