bdrake529

Wingsuit Boogie - September 8-9 - California City

This is a preliminary announcement of a Wingsuit Boogie, to be held September 8-9 at Skydive California City (roughly 1.5 hours NE of Los Angeles).

Details will be released as they're determined.

The DZ has a Twin Otter and we're currently working to have a helicopter as well (confirmation pending).

Cal City is in the Mojave desert and is perfectly oriented for wingsuit flying. There is a very large landing area and the surrounding desert is almost completely free of obstacles allowing distance flying limits to be tested without consequence of hazardous landing areas. The grid system of roads provides a perfect navigating tool (all N-S, E-W) and their even distribution (.5 mile squares) makes judging distance very easy.

Cal City is also the only DZ I'm aware of that has a GPS repeating system installed in the Otter which allows perfect GPS reception on the ride to altitude. We'll be taking advantage of this to conduct GPS wingsuit races and an opportunity to analyze individual wingsuit flight data.

The DZ has recently had a sharp rise of interest in wingsuit flying (due mainly to the efforts of our local expert, Dave Barlia) and we're eager to provide an event to bring together the wingsuit pilots from the other SoCal DZs (and whoever else wants to attend) for a flocking good time.

Clear this weekend in your schedule and stay tuned here for details as they're available.

Blue skies,

Brian
Brian Drake

The grid system of roads provides a perfect navigating tool (all N-S, E-W) and their even distribution (.5 mile squares) makes judging distance very easy.

that is pretty cool. Have any aerial shots?

Scott
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I thought about google earth after I posted, sorta like the smack in the head "Could'a had a V8" :P

It would be cool with the grid system to just count off the distance...

Scott

"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

A few more details.

-No boogie fee. This means no trinkets and tshirts, but that's hardly why we're hoping people will be motivated to come.

-First place winner of the GPS race will get a copy of Paralog, the world's leading skydiving logbook and flight analysis software made by skydivers for skydivers.

-Boogie starts bright and early with the "Early Bird" jump (6am) both days. If you're on this load, the 4th jump of the day is free.

More details to follow as they're nailed down.

We're not requiring registration, but we would prefer RSVP to help plan accordingly. Either leave a note here indicating your intention to attend, or contact the DZ directly.
Brian Drake

In the spirit of the Flock-n-Dock threads (and really just an excuse to bump this thread to maintain visibility), here's the latest head count with home DZ/area and suit:

Dave Barlia (Cal City) - Acro/V2
Tim Bennicoff (Cal City) - Acro
Chris (Elsinore) - V2
Brian Drake (Cal City) - Acro/SM1
Craig Falon (Minnesota) - S3
Mike Hanson (Cal City) - Acro
Cate Henegan (Elsinore) - GTI
Jim Hickey (Elsinore) - Aerobat
Eike Hohenadl (Elsinore/Perris) - S6
Tony Kekahuna (Cal City) - S3
Nick Kent (Cal City) - Classic
Nacho (Elsinore) - S3
Kevin Morris (Mesquite, NV) - Ghost
TJ Oliva (Cal City) - Acro
Scott Orland (Cal City) - Acro
Andy Tompkins (Taft) - M1/V2
Janel Rizzo (Cal City) - Acro

and about 4-5 others confirmation pending. I'm optimistic about this size of an event since it will let us start with several smaller-way flocks working towards the goal of (potentially) a 20-way (full Cal City Otter).

I look forward to seeing you all on the 8th, bright and early (6am early bird load)!

Blue skies,

Brian
Brian Drake

Looks like it will be a lot of fun. Wish I could be there.

Show everyone whats up with that SM1 Brian!!!

Please say hello to Jim Hickey for me.
WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

Thank you to everyone who participated this weekend. Judging from the comments I received, a good time was had by all. That was really my only true goal for the event so I'm very pleased it went off well.

Thanks especially to those who made an effort to travel a ways to get here. I hope you found our lil' DZ hospitable and the flights worth the distance.

Blue skies,

Brian
Brian Drake