unclecharlie95

Definition of a complete wingsuit formation: "Everyone in their pre-determined slot, within two body lengths of the correct position and held for 4 seconds"

Flying loose formations is not difficult, but very-tight technical flocks require intense concentration, less you wash into your wingman or fall off into a burble. I love that kind of wingsuiting.

Yep, me too. This was exactly what Cochstedt and Castellon were all about. It was a lot of hard concentration work flying your slot exactly, but also very rewarding and fun.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Version 2.0 below>

Definition of a complete wingsuit formation:

"Everyone in their predetermined slot, within 6 feet of their correct position and held for 4 seconds"

Notes:
a. This definition is for simple 2D formation shapes.
b. Each slot is determined by a predefined formation skeleton (see example attached) which uses a 12 foot spacing between rows and columns (x y axes).
c. To be in slot each flyer must be within 6 feet of their correct position in the x and y axes AND
d. each flyer must fly their slot within the following vertical range (z axis); -12' below the base and up to 48' above the base.
e. Two camera angles are required to ratify the completion of the formation; a shot from above the formation to confirm everyone is in slot in the x and y axes and a side shot showing each flyer is within the range applied to the z axis.

I have tried to cover the points that people have raised. For sure this definition still has lots of holes (for 3D formations and the z axis range definition) but I hope we are close to a workable solution that we can try for this season.
BASEstore.it

The definition is good.

On a completely seperate but related note....

Flocking goes from being an inclusive fun thing to being all competitive and technical ...'lets cut that dude' thing.

A couple of years form now when whatever the new discipline is comes along....they will make fun of wingsuiting as we make fun of RW now.

Would still be really nice to see 50-100 way tight formations being built. A competitive or serious nature will become a necessity to be able to build such a formation.

Kris.

Flocking goes from being an inclusive fun thing to being all competitive and technical ...'lets cut that dude' thing.

Worry less about your GPS stats, and flock more, so you dont have to worry about being cut;)

But more serious.....trying to actually further the discipline by trying to work towards something new/better doesnt mean it will put a ban on having fun and flying the way we have been doing so far..

Freeflying has come a long way, with 4 VRW and huge records, but does that prevent anyone from going up with a bunch of people and just having fun? I think it only bettered the discipline, and gave it a better image towards the non-freeflyers..

And showing people whats possible (in terms of formation-flying) is not only incredibly fun to do, but also means people will finally start seeing as as people who "fly formations" instead of "zoom across the skies"

As far as wingsuiting turning into a competitive thing....do you ever read these forums?;):D

In my experience, flocking is the stuff that is totally free of competitive spirits...its the boys worrying about which piece of fabric makes them better their L/D ratios by 0.0001 that are always competing, be it about suits, manufacturers, or about fellow flyers' performance.....;)

as for the definition...I think focusing on the 2D plane, and forgetting about the vertical levels.
Just making sure it looks like a good formation, according to these rules, seen from the top of bottom camera perspective, is (I think?) already challenging enough to try?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?