TrickyDicky

Comparisons

I jump a sabre 170 (loaded at 1.15). I have recently seen a saffire 1 169 going fs in a rig (I might consider buying) I have 100 jumps on the sabre, and still love it loads, and not considering downsizing at all anytime soon.

But due to a crap container, I want a new one. And if I can get this rig, Ill have the same wing loading on the 169.

I just want peoples opinions of the 2, and how they compare.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Im no expert, but I think a safire 1 169 is actually about a 155 (they are smaller than they say). If you were at the bcpa meet at the weekend I know which rig you mean. I was going to jump the safire 169 but the wind dropped so i opted for the sabre 170.

Nick

You will love the Safire.

Openings are WAY better than the Sabre, which has been known to hammer, and steering is smooth with a full toggle stroke and a full and powerful flare.

How many jumps total, what are your landings like, and is your DZ hot or high?

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I e-mailed Icarus and explained that this had been talked about here and if they could give me a reply that I could post so here is Icarus's reply

The Safire-1 and the Omega are measured differently to PD canopies. As a rough guide a Safire-1 or Omega is about the same size as the next size down - eg A Safire 149 is about a 135. A Safire 119 is about a 109. Use an equation of 8%.
The Safire-2 and Omni (Omni supercedes Omega) are measured the same as
PD.

All other Icarus Canopies are measured the same as PD.

The reason for the difference is due to Precision measuring their canopies differently. Icarus have always measured the same as PD however when we originally commenced in the USA, Precision were building parachutes for us under license and were doing it using their size equations and not Icarus/PD's.

We have therefore had to wait to supercede these models to change the size equation.

Only the Safire and Omega were affected.

Blue skies
Simon

Icarus Canopies
USA: 1S671 Bender Lane, West Chicago, IL 60185, USA
Ph. (630) 562-2735, Fax (630) 231-4430
Europe: P.I. El Ramassar, c/ Vallés, s/n O8520,
Les Franqueses, Barcelona, SPAIN.
Ph. (34) 938 496 432, Fax (34) 938 497 971
www.icaruscanopies.com

I use to have a Safire 1 169, comparing it to a Sbre 150 they were the same size when you laid them over each other.
Kirk