pierre3636

Back fly horizontal speed

hello - I've started doing back fly exits and alot more back flying, with the aim to be able to get below shots on flocking dives. I do need some advice though - I jump a s3s for starters, with my legs semi open I can back fly at flocking pace and have good up/down levels movement but im trying to figure out how to speed up and slow down horizontally ... any advice ?it feels like I tend to dive steeper the wider my legs are open which on your belly gives you more drive...

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

Look at posts 26-37 on this thread. There is even a picture. :)
It is possible to get that legwing all the way open but the rest of your body (hips/arms/chest) have to be positioned perfectly which takes skill and strength.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I feel it the most in my triceps. I think part of the reason it's so tiring on an S3 is because the wings don't inflate. Inflatable wings take much less strength to hold out. To get your hips up (the most important thing for slow fallrate, and to be able to open legs all the way), just clench your asscheeks together. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Make sure you also throw your head back, and roll your shoulders back (the same you'd do when flying on your belly, just the other way around) To completely open up the legwing, and get a nice max (back)flying body position, you need to really push your head back, and get completely flat, so the top half of your body also has enough 'push' to keep you upright.

If you bend at the waist, or hold your head upright, this tends to tip you a bit headdown, and dramaticly increases your verctical speed...(send you diving)

But flying it with your body straight can make you fly through the sky at nice fast forward speeds.

http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~fxcordia/photo/04_april/empuria_costyn_jarno_stack.jpg

There's lots of S3S backflying with open legwing in this video

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3829

And some more, about 30 secs into this one

http://www.bird-man.com/?n=windtunnel&nose=8

And a small shameless plug

This video was shot at last years Texel High Altitude Wingsuit Boogie.
Join in on the fun this coming month! Lots of skilled birds, oxygen on the plane, loads of extra altitude, and cool flocking jumps!

Check www.islandboogie.com for more details

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?