Billy

What Jump Log/GPS unit are you using?

Hi Gang,

My Pro Dytter has crapped out... Good! I wanted a new sumthing anyway... please excuse my ignorance

I'd like a PC interfacing unit, and I like the GPS stuff that allows you to see your flight path, ie with "Google Earth." I don't even know what else is available.

Apparently there isn't an audible altimeter/GPS unit, am I correct?? So you must be using some combo of the 2 units?? What software are you using also?? It seems many of you are using these high tech toys so which do you like and why??

Any links would be appreciated also as I hope to pull together some of this info for future flyers to find easier in a search....

Thanks Flockers!
Billy

Natural Born FlyerZ.com

Apparently there isn't an audible altimeter/GPS unit, am I correct??

Actually there is the [url"http://alti-2.com/Titan/titan.htm"] Titan[/url],thats being developed that will do all of those things. Currently most people use a GPS(Etrex, fortrex,etc) and download the data to Paralog as it is the most friendly wingsuit software out there.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Apparently there isn't an audible altimeter/GPS unit, am I correct?? So you must be using some combo of the 2 units?? What software are you using also?? It seems many of you are using these high tech toys so which do you like and why??

I'm using a Garmin ForeTrex 201 with FlightTrack (for the Mac, and it's free: http://flighttrack.sourceforge.net/) to plot my flights. As you say, there's no combo dytter and gps unit yet. This probably cause the gps antenna wouldn't get any coverage if it's in your helmet, and besides the market for such a combo device is too small. :)
I would suggest getting a new dytter (or protrack) and a small formfactor GPS to mount somewhere (I get best results when it's mounted on my helmet). Apparently ParaLog (http://www.paralog.net/) can read both GPS data and ProTrack data if you really want to get into the numbers. ;)

See Scott's book, it's got a whole section on GPS.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Maybe I should wait for the Titan!?? Looks awesome!

What GPS specs do you look for? Like a "refresh" rate for getting as many readings during freefall...
again sorry but this is all new for me.

There are several units I see from cheap to several hundreds$$ So thanks for being specific about which model!

Billy

Natural Born FlyerZ.com

What GPS specs do you look for?

For starters, one that is fairly small, capable of downloading data to a computer and logs at 1 sec intervals. After that, things like number of tracks it can store, on board memory, barometric altimeter, WAAS enabled/capable and what kind of power source it uses(batteries or lithium ion)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thanks Lou,
So with those basics,, the rest is flair and $$ WTF is small form factor Costyn refers to? a GOOGLE about it was boggling,, Anyting I need to know or just some wizardry that makes it happen...

edit to add:
www.garmin.com/products/foretrex201/

Forerunner 201 size : 3.3"W x 1.7"H x .9"D
Forerunner 205 size : 2.1 ” .7 ” x 2.7” (the website says W x H x D..but that is obviously wrong based on the picture)

The 205 looks like it will be easier to wear, I have used a 201 to log flights and it is not that comfortable on the wrist due to its length(W above).

The 205 and the 305 acquire a satelite signal quickly that is a nice feature. I'd say go for the newer ones if a bit more cost is acceptable otherwise the 201 will work just fine.

If you get the 201, don't try to upgrade the firmware on the unit. I had mine stop connecting to the PC after an upgrade. Garmin replaced it under warranty but why mess with a functioning unit

Kris.

how long does it take the 201 for you to get a signal? I had a strong signal next to the pilot (C-182) and then moved it away for a minute...took about 30 seconds to get it back (and that included flight time). Any recommendations for keeping it?

I used to have the unit acquire signal on the ground before I got in the plane and used to leave the unit by the window by the pilot. After wearing it for exit, I held the hand next to a window until exit.

This is why I was suggesting getting the newer units(205, 305), they are supposed to acquire satelite in just a few secs.

Kris.

how long does it take the 201 for you to get a signal? Any recommendations for keeping it?

Point of clarification. The FORETREX series is prefered over the Forerunner series for all of the reasons I stated above, the big one being the barometric altimeter.

One of the things to keep in mind on any GPS receiver is that they all have "hot" and "cold" acquire times. Some receivers acquire quicker than others but you have to compare apples to apples. Manufacturers use catch phrases about acquire time as a marketing ploy, take the time to look at the numbers.No matter which receiver you use, it is important that you turn the receiver on in the vic. of the landing area and allow it to acquire at a minimum of 3, preferably 4 satellites( 3D position) before boarding the plane(cold start). This allows your receiver time to locate the satellites and most importantly, update it's almanac(think of it as a satellite bus schedule). Once you have 3D position, turn the unit off so it stops logging while you stand there on the ground. Unless you want a track file of the planes climb to altitude there is no need to have your receiver on during the climb. Once on jump run or around 9 K, which ever you prefer, turn the unit on and allow it to reacquire the satellites(hot start). You'll need to have it in the vic of a window so it can see the sky and start tracking the satellites again. It will do it quicker because it has a current almanac and "knows" where the satellites are in the sky. If you can't get lock while moving to the door don't worry, you'll have time in the door after the last jumper to give your receiver enough time to reacquire before you reach your exit point. If maintaining a constant signal is that critical to you, you can purcahse a GPS repeater for fairly cheap and have signal anywhere in the plane.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

how long does it take the 201 for you to get a signal? Any recommendations for keeping it?

Point of clarification. The FORETREX series is prefered over the Forerunner series for all of the reasons I stated above, the big one being the barometric altimeter.

http://www.garmin.com/products/foretrex201/

Garmin has stopped the ForeTrex after the 201.

No barometric altimeter. You are confusing it with the eTrex Vista.

Manufacturers use catch phrases about acquire time as a marketing ploy, take the time to look at the numbers.

Can you give an example? Are the advertised faster acquire times on the new 205 and 305 series, just a marketing ploy?

Kris.

Thanks for the info. I just recieved the GPS as a gift for my birthday and opened it up and went "D'oh...wrong model". But one advantage is the tracking based on lap times. Start it right before I leave and can do a lap point under canopy to help with trimming it.

What type of altimiter does the Forerunner have? It appeard to be semi-accurate for a few key points (like opening and u-turn of the track).

I only made one jump with it and it picked up maybe 15 seconds into it.

You are confusing it with the eTrex Vista

You are correct. I meant to say the big one being the WAAS capability. I had altimeter on the brain when I typed that.

Can you give an example?

Sure. From the manual

Foretrex 201 Acquisition times :
Approx 15 seconds(warm start)
Approx 45 seconds(cold start)
Approx 5 mins (first time/auto locate)

Forerunner 205 acqusition times:
Hot start 1 second
warm start <38 seconds
cold start <45 seconds

Besides the times, position accuracy is negligable between the two since the 201 is WAAS capable and therefore capable of having as good or better accuracy as the Forerunner 205 which does not have WAAS. There are other small variences you can find between models and even manufacturers if you compare the manuals to one another. Again, it goes back to doing your home work and looking at the data for each GPS receiver.Some times the differences are small but the price varience between the 2 models may not be.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I've got a Garmin Foretrex 201 and Paralog with the GPS license. It works really well and computes all the data for you at 1 second intervals fairly easily. It is also cheaper than the other options I looked at. Paralog will also track the flight in Google Earth for you.

I usually turn the GPS on while I'm on the ground and make sure I have at least a 3-D GPS lock. Sometimes I just leave it logging on the plane ride up, other times I turn logging off in the menu but keep the unit turned on (don't forget to turn the logging back on ['blush']). Usually I can get a signal during the plane ride by keeping the unit next to a window. I think it reacquires the satellites quicker if you leave it turned on. It definitely locks on quicker if you haven't moved hundreds of miles since the last time it was turned on.

I wear it on my right wrist underneath my arm wing. On jump run, I'll zip up that wing and then keep my wrist near the window on my way to the door. It usually keeps a GPS lock while I'm doing this and gets a log of the entire flight.

I use two Neptunes with Paralog as a visual and audible. I'm also interested in checking out the Titan and accessories once it is released.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

I've got a Garmin Foretrex 201 and Paralog with the GPS license. It works really well and computes all the data for you at 1 second intervals fairly easily. It is also cheaper than the other options I looked at. Paralog will also track the flight in Google Earth for you.

The Foretrex series and Paralog are both economical and very efficient at analyizing wingsuit data. It's a hard combo to beat.

I think it reacquires the satellites quicker if you leave it turned on. It definitely locks on quicker if you haven't moved hundreds of miles since the last time it was turned on.

It will, but it will also log track files when it does. You end up with a bunch of disjoined tracks that you have to edit out later. Any receiver will take a good deal of time to get lock if you've moved a significant distance from it's last known location.

I use two Neptunes with Paralog ***

Another reason why paralog is the way to go. It does all data loggers on the market and GPS receivers. The Google earth 3-d readouts are also hard to beat.

SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING