Trae

Any thoughts on multi-exit techniques ??

Does any -one with experience in flocks of 10 or more have any recommendations for multi-exit techniques.?

So far the options I've come across are
* the circuit turn after exit. This is when the planes flying upwind and the flock turns back towards the DZ on a left or righthand circuit. This seemd to work well with different experience levels and different suits with the turns allowing the older/slower suits to catch up by cutting the corners.

* the everyone out and flock along the same direction the plane was going (downwind or upwind ). This caused some problems with the base flyers taking off too fast after their nice exits not enabling the late exiters (tumblers ) to catch up easily.

*Just get out and fly back to the DZ...as in follow the leader.

Also any thoughts on where to put the least experienced flockers. Do you think they're better off getting out early near the base or chasing from late or ......?

Does any -one with experience in flocks of 10 or more have any recommendations for multi-exit techniques.?

There are several different ways to launch multi ways out of an A/C. A lot depends on the skill of the people,jump run direction and the type of A/C your jumping from. I cover a good deal of this in Skyflying, Wingsuits in Motion and several other considerations to take into account when flocking. Since a lot depends on the A/C, what type of A/C are your jumping from?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

the everyone out and flock along the same direction the plane was going (downwind or upwind ). This caused some problems with the base flyers taking off too fast after their nice exits not enabling the late exiters (tumblers ) to catch up easily.

In my experience, getting out last does not mean you have catching up to do. The forward speed of the aircraft is a lot greater than the forward speed of a wingsuit, so when you exit later, you are a lot further ahead and above the base which (in most cases) exited as one of the first.

The trick now is to fly down to where the base will be, not where it is now. If you fly down to where it is now, you will end up behind (even if you are on level) and play catch up most of the flight. Seems logical, but (for most people), it does take some getting used to.

In the case where the flock is making a 180 degree turn, cutting corners does help. Flying along the same path as the base did will end you up behind the flock.

I learnt these lessons from trial & error mostly, but I'm sure Scott covers these points in his book.

Of course if you tumble on exit, all bets are off. ;) Even so, if it's only for a short time, you will still be above and forward of the base.

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

At ZHills we've settled on the single left-turn approach. With a single a/c the pilot goes out about 2 miles (depending on the wind) and turns left 90 degrees. Wingsuiters exit and make a single left turn back towards the dz.

The main reason this works best for us is that you can equalize the distance everyone has to travel to the base by moving the base more towards the center of the exit order. The larger the group the further the base is inside the a/c. Also, even if you're last out you can turn left and the base is in front of you heading towards the dz, not behind you heading in the same direction as you are (as a straight downwind flight path would do).

For multi-plane formations the same rules apply, but the a/c approach the exit point with the dz to their left ... no turn. Base is usually near the door of the lead a/c. Trail plane folks take one side of the formation, lead the other.

This approach has worked so far to 38 wingsuiters and 2 planes for us.

As far as where to put the lesser experienced folk ... never, ever make them base. You need a fast down/slow forward/smooth flyer to act as base. Usually an experienced heavier person will do. They need to fly so that the folks behind in their GTi's can catch up. Lesser experienced folk go in the back of the plane and practice their catching skills. Once they achieve this they show up on the video. As they learn to smoothly hold thier position in the formation they get promoted up front. Kind of backwards from RW ....

IMHO

Scott

Anyone done much in the way of wingsuit drag-outs?

:) ) from the bonfire ...but.... this could work with wingsuits if the skill/experience levels are up a bit.
B|
It would certainly get a lot out nice and quick and kinda close. In a perfect world it could be opened up already flying.

I mentioned such an idea to a group of wingies and they looked at me as if I'd just suggested something VERY weird these guys mustn't have done many biggish drag -outs (hang-ons).

Being a 'skydiver' drag-outs seem more natural than weird to me ...