Harksaw

Beeswax

I was looking around in the Paragear catalong and found beeswax for sale that says its used for rubbing into the lines to keep them from burning. I have talked to some people and no one says they do this, but it sounds like it would be a good idea if it keeps the lines from stretching, making them last longer? Or is this just one of those relics from old parachutes?

It's a relic. Some tacking needs to be with waxed cord. While in the 20 years I've been rigging if I needed waxed I bought it waxed, you could wax your own. In addition, on early ram airs with 800 or 1000 pound dacron line, tension knots formed much easier. Those lines have a lot more friction to begin with and get "fuzzy" as they wear. Using soap or wax on the lines was thought to help prevent tension knots. Two of my four malfunctions were tension knots on dacron lines. My gut feeling, with out any data, is that spectra or microline is slicker and any knots that form don't hold. The newer aramid lines may not have that perceived advantage.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Vectran lines come from the manufacturer, with a wax coating. One reason is the Wax has a UV inhibitor, the other is to keep the lines from fraying. Archery fan's use a wax to coat their lines also, but for a parachute it would be a pain in the ass to wax a lineset.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Some Para-Commander afficianados used food-grade silicone on their lines for the same reason.
However, now that deserts are fashionable place to jump in the winter, spraying anything extra on your lines is a bad idea.
You see, parachutes are like machine guns in that any extra lubricant will just trap sand and salt and grit against your lines and that extra grit will wear out your lines far faster than slider friction.
Waxing your lines was a cute theory, but it does not work in the desert.