voodew1

High speed passes

not to worry, newbies need to see what what happens in real world,real time!!!! Its very easy to critisize when we dont know facts,or lack real time experiance, I fucked up, hope others can learn that none of us are perfect and that we need to share good jumps and scary situations and learn from them
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

have new flack jacket,and will continue to share!!! had some personal issues and was about to overload, so I apologize for ducken and runnen a while back!!! Lets all try to learn from others and I for one will try to keep my ego in check!!!!

fly baby fly

lets all try to learn from this and I know that after 2000 ws jumps...i still can make a mistake!!

Perry, this is what I meant earlier on when I mentioned that it surprised me that this could happen to someone with so much experience. I'm a little curious what this looked like to you from 1st person perspective. I don't mean in terms of how "cool" or "fast" the actual pass looked, I mean, how much time you had between the moment you realized what was going to happen and the moment it happened.

At first I was thinking, how is it possible to make a mistake this big, but the more I think about it, I am starting to feel that with those types of closing speeds, by the time you are close enough to realize you're heading in the opposite direction of the flock, you are about to experience the most wicked sense of ground rush (flock rush) ever, and basically there will be no time to react between point 1 (realization of closing on the flock in the wrong direction) and point 2 (closing on the flock in the wrong direction).

The point of this post is that if I am right in that assumption, heading control in flights is even more important. BEFORE you get to what I called "point 1" above (realization of wrong heading), my guess is it's not possible to see enough detail in the flock to realize your error. This is why it's so important to have heading planned ahead of time. My best guess is that, once already in this very ugly corner, there is no way better to handle the situation than Perry did (duck your head and hope for the best), which should never be a solution any of us should count on, though fortunately it worked in this situation. Meaning, the best solution is prevention - DON'T get yourself into that ugly corner.

Am I right about this Perry? In retrospect, do you think you would have had time to make a heading change and avoid the flock by a larger margin or did it seem to happen in the blink of an eye once you knew it was coming?

Glad you're ok man, and glad to see you enduring the flames of DZ.com to share your valuable experience with us. :P
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

it was coming fast!!As i rolled over at top of climb,I could see 3 orange specks behind me,I thought they had made the turn back to dz as i was long on exit.as i dove i suddenly realized I was diving toward head of formation,not from behind and there where others above and behind,only option was to dive below and at that speed,to try to turn would have been useless as well as keep me from losing altitude..was a response,not reaction!All i saw was that i was in wrong place and they where coming fast!! We had some clouds and i shouldent have been diving so long to catch up or might have realized the direction of flight was 180 out

Could a possible solution be to keep the flock (that you are going to join) to your right (if they're doing a left hand pattern) until you figure out which direction they are flying? That way if they are flying in the same direction you are you can just crab (or bank) over to the right and join them. If they're still travelling in the opposite direction (like in the video) you can keep them far enough to the right until you pass/they pass and you can turn and join the flock. Could that work? What problems can you all see with this solution?

(With loads with multiple flocks I could see that this might not work...)

I think when Jesus said "love your enemy" he probably meant don't kill them.

Nice Job Perry. I think you did a great job of handling a time critical decision and executing it perfectly in a situation where the base's heading was not as it was planned to be. WE all have been on large and small flocks where the base should have been heading one way, and someone outside the base would have to eventually turn the formation because others situational awareness is not where it needed to be. We all should take a navigation lesson from this event. Even some very experienced wingsuit pilots still haven't quite grasped the importance of navigating airspace as a pilot would navigate his aircraft, not just as a freeflyer in a good enough spot that they wouldn't run into another group. Plan the dive, then dive the plan. Also, another issue that all must be aware of, since wingsuits mainly go last, if were on the end of jump run, and we are using cardinal directions for our flight path, and the pilot cuts jump run, and changes the jump run back the other direction or any way he feels, all flyers need to be aware that they may have to execute a turn immediately out the door in order to dive the plan correctly and safely. If we want to take this to the next level, all involved must be able to achieve this level of awareness. just some outside points of view from your friendly flocker.

U ROCK PERRY

Scotty :P
Z Flock #11; Muff #1909; PFI #15, USPA Lifer
Commercial Multi-Inst. Airplane/Rotory
www.flyteskool.ws Aerial Photography