cpoxon

Gran Canaria Christmas Boogie

I jumped out there in January this year, I’ll never forget the first lift when we climbed above a flat layer of cloud at 4,000 to be confronted by the top of the island rising vertical out of that white blanket, with Tenerife likewise in the distance. The visuals in a wing suit would be fookin awesome. Weather was low seventies with some windy days around that time of year.

There where two small operations based at the airstrip. One run by Paco Romero (28Yrs) and one by JumpForLife (2 Yrs). They both Land on the beach several miles away at Maspalomas, three miles of it to land in! Watch out for the steep sand dunes and wandering sunbathers, oh and the big wet thingy!

They then bus jumpers back to the airstrip. Boogie aside, both appear to be principally Tandem/Cessna operations with the option to fun jump if places are available with a tandem or if there are enough fun jumpers around to make a load (holiday makers – very few local jumpers save for some Red Bull guys who live there and mainly save their cash for the mainland as I understand it). They pick up Tandem trade at the commercial strip that they land along side. There is a bit of history between the two operators but they both seem to do their own thing pretty well. Paco is a real cool dude (think John Wayne meets David Ginola)

If they can get a decent number of jumpers to register it would be pretty cool. Will it compete with Empuria though?

The whole interior of the island is pretty vertical, so it might be worth asking the locals to see if there is anywhere to go (cough) climbing ;)if thats your bag