stevesuch

GPSin'

Hi
Still have wingsuited yet. But 4 weeks until I learn in Spain. Yaaay!!

I was thinking about the GPS systems that you guys are jumping with and was wondering whether its possible to correlate the data from multiple devices into one software program?
I just thought it would be really cool to have everyone on a flock wearing the GPS receiver and when you're debriefing, being able to watch the whole dive in realtime from every angle, seeing who was in, who was out etc.
Anyone know if this is possible or tried it? I suppose it relies heavily on the accuracy of the GPS. But it would be good to see.

was wondering whether its possible to correlate the data from multiple devices into one software program?

Sure, as long as all the GPS receivers can talk to the software. However, if you are asking if the software can display 4 different people's flights onto one graph you might have a problem as I don't know of any software available to the public that does that.

I just thought it would be really cool to have everyone on a flock wearing the GPS receiver and when you're debriefing, being able to watch the whole dive in realtime from every angle, seeing who was in, who was out etc.

First off, it wouldn't be real time , it would be after the fact since you have to download the data after the flight. The other thing is that the data from even 2 people flying a GPS is going to look distinctly different from one another even if they were flying in close proximity to one another. So I don't think you could use that as a determination as to who was "in" and who wasn't. That's why we have cameras;)

Anyone know if this is possible or tried it?

I have done HAHOs where everyone had a GPS on them. When plotted over the map of the ground you could see the formation we flew. However, the data read outs and graphs all looked very different.

The closest thing to what I think you are describing can be found in the "race mode" on the replayer PC software which comes with the FRWD GPS unit.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

was wondering whether its possible to correlate the data from multiple devices into one software program?

Sure, as long as all the GPS receivers can talk to the software. However, if you are asking if the software can display 4 different people's flights onto one graph you might have a problem as I don't know of any software available to the public that does that.

First off, it wouldn't be real time , it would be after the fact since you have to download the data after the flight. The other thing is that the data from even 2 people flying a GPS is going to look distinctly different from one another even if they were flying in close proximity to one another. So I don't think you could use that as a determination as to who was "in" and who wasn't. That's why we have cameras;)

I don't understand. :SWhy would the two peoples GPS data be that much different? Surely if the receivers were relatively accurate they'd be pretty much identical. Just reading a few metres away from each other.

Yeah a bit like that, but having multiple syncronised GPSs on the same load.
Many GPSs seem to have a play back function too so you could replay the jumps second by second with all jumpers on the screen at the same time. Thought it would be a good way of reviewing jumps.