JustRelax

what rig should I buy

I have finished AFF an am considering what rig I could buy, all be it second hand. I have said to my JM that I am interested in Wingsuit flying later so if I buy a rid I want it to suit that discipline. My undersatnding is that It should be a real good even square openning system.

My JM suggested a Saphire. Do you agree?

I want to buy a system that I can use for wingsuit flying once I chalk up the jump numbers. I knw I'm new at the sport - just wanting to think ahead.

I wouldn't worry about it too much to be honest. By the time you have enough jumps to be flying a wingsuit you'll probably have changed your canopy if not your whole rig.

Having said that, any rig that's safe for rw or ff should be ok for wingsuit stuff, just make sure it's boc. A square canopy is highly recommended for your first jumps because your deployment is likely to be far from perfect and the suit can hamper your ability to deal with mals. Once you've done your first handful of jumps the important thing is that you're familiar and happy with whatever canopy you're jumping.

Some people do have their rigs modified for wingsuit jumping, with longer bridles and/or open corners on their container but lots of people don't so it's not really essential and the mods can be done (I would have thought) to pretty much any rig anyway.

These are just the opinion of a fledgling birdman.

(edited for my appalling grammer)

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Actually, I think he has a good plan, assuming he is going to keep that first rig as his BM rig and is probably going to buy another rig anyway after he gets sufficient experience to downsize.

Container systems: there is no drawback whatsoever to having "dynamic" or "open" corners in my opinion, so I would say that the purchase of a Wings, Javelin, or Mirage with the wingsuit option would all be great choices. I jump a Wings EXT with all the wingsuit options now, but have seen and played with both Javs and Mirages with mods.

Mains: anything that opens straight. The "squarer" the canopy, the more likely it is to open without spinning (your biggest fear as a wingsuit pilot). This is ESPECIALLY important for people with low jump numbers who are making their first flights. The more experience you have on a canopy, the less an issue this is. I know plenty of people jumping what we as BM-I's would consider very-poor choices as wingsuit mains, but those people get along fine. I know people jumping Vengeances, Velocities (I put 50 flights on a Velo 79 with no problems in my S3), and other HP canopies regularly. That said, a Sabre2, Safire2, or some other semi-elliptical are brilliant choices.

Chuck