ManBird

Tricks

Any tricks/sequences to try? My favorite one right now is a backflip, as opposed to a gainer. When you bcakflip from the belly to earth position, you're actually doing a gainer.

Try backflying and then doing a backflip. Not too tough. Then try flying on your belly, half barrel roll, backflip, half barrel roll back onto your belly as one move. Then add a barrel roll or two to either end of the maneuver. Like half barrel roll, backflip, then 2 and half barrel rolls our of it. One I was working on yesterday was one and half barrel rolls, backflip, half barrel roll, front flip.

You can also fly backwards for a little bit. The easiest was is a super fast and flat 180 (try not to flatspin). You could also half barrel roll onto your back and then do half a front flip. If you're flying next to someone that just drops throws a knee into it, you'll notice that you can stay with them, going backwards for a moment. Then just turn back around when you start to fall to far behind.

You'd think that you'd drop like a rock while performing the larger sequences, which you kind of do at first, but get them a bit fluid, and you can actually ride all the tricks down the momentum of your flight. On the flights that have been pretty much all aerobatics, I'm still getting 105 - 116 in the GTi (though it was more like 90 when I was first figuring most of this stuff out).

I'd really like to hear what other people are doing out there. In any board sport, there is a desire to invent and teach new tricks. I still have that desire for wingsuit flying, and think it would make this stuff even more fun (if that's possible).
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I like forward flips some. Half the time I do barrel rolls I end up plummeting so I only engage on solos. Back flying I can do fairly well but I'm on a classic so its not a very flat flite. I would like to work on snap heading changes. Lou diamond pulls pretty high up and this weekend I circled back for a fly-by I was very efficient but still lost too much alti in the smooth carve back. If only I could do xtreme flat turns like them dadgum UFO's they got in the desert.

Half the time I do barrel rolls I end up plummeting so I only engage on solos.

Are you closing your tail on barrel rolls? The only times I've seen people drop on barrel rolls is when they leave the tail open.

Click

360 degree flat-spin

Nice. I didn't even think about that one until Jari mentioned it to me right before I left DeLand. I tried it the first jump back in Oregon, and it was really frickin' fun. Might be sketchy on a S3 at first (which Jari also warned me about), but was both quick and easy to control with the GTi. Definite respect for pulling it off on the "harder" wings without a flat spin. Did you run into flat spins at first?

I'd love to see someone else do it in the air. It feels like it looks ridiculous.

Click

I was pulling off full forward somersaults, forward roll into back flying and then backwards roll back onto original heading at the Perris boogie on my solo flights. I also pulled off a nice move that was well documented and was quite the talk at the boogie. Unfortunately, I am not the owner of the picture so I cannot release it, nor do I have a copy, but I think it will be widely seen here in a month or two;)

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I just got my suit and have about 7 jumps on it, I have two hook ups one with a wing suit and one with a guy in a regular jump suit. I weigh 250lb without gear so I think this suit is great but I too have problems with a barrel role I close my wings and my legs but end up making about six revolutions should I close my legs and leave the wings out?

Try opening one wing a bit before the other to counter to rotation. For example, if you roll clockwise, throw your right wing out a before you hit the horizon (pretty much as soon as you've seen blue for a split second) and get your left wing out on the horizon. Start opening your tail at the same time you put out your right wing, and finish opening your tail by the time you have your left wing out. Go big on it, too. I'm assuming you're flying a Classic or GTi. You can put some muscle into your maneuvers without the suit biting back (too hard).

It takes practice, but done quickly and smoothly, you'll get a nice tight barrel roll without rocking or any fall rate gain. You can then apply this to as many barrel rolls as you'd like.

Click