base704

Check out Jari in Forbesfyi...

"About 2,000 people have experienced the wingsuit since the company was founded in 1999. Only four have died."

Were they expecting more?
The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over - Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks for posting that. For everyone's info, the article is in Forbes FYI Summer 2003, not the standard Forbes. We think only subscribers get this as we can not find it on the shelves. If anyone does, please let us know.

Unfortunately, the web article does not have the pics that are in the magazine.

The article is pretty funny... some serious whuffo death and doom stuff but over all a good read.

When the person who answered the phone at BirdMan told me that a reporter from Forbes was on the phone I said, "Yeah, right." I totally figured it was someone pulling my chain or possibly they were doing an article on the 100 smallest businesses! :P

~Kim
BirdMan, Inc.

-Kimberly Griffin

Thanks for posting that. For everyone's info, the article is in Forbes FYI Summer 2003, not the standard Forbes. We think only subscribers get this as we can not find it on the shelves. If anyone does, please let us know.

Unfortunately, the web article does not have the pics that are in the magazine.

The article is pretty funny... some serious whuffo death and doom stuff but over all a good read.

When the person who answered the phone at BirdMan told me that a reporter from Forbes was on the phone I said, "Yeah, right." I totally figured it was someone pulling my chain or possibly they were doing an article on the 100 smallest businesses! :P

~Kim
BirdMan, Inc.

nice article, cool pic of you kim on the avatar, who took that?

Yeah, the writer - a very nice guy but a non skydiver, of course - took that 4 people had died in BirdMan suits pretty seriously. He didn't mention that Jari had told him that 3 of those 4 died on BASE jumps in the suits (and that the suit spefically did not cause the death.)

But, you know the media... But, any press is good press right? I SO won't complain about BirdMan being in Forbes, even if they made it sound like the odds of survival are something like 4 in 2000. Ha!

~Kim
-Kimberly Griffin

Hey Kim,

Thanks for calling me a nice guy! But I DID mention that 3 of those 4 deaths were BASE jumps: "Three of the four deaths attributed to the BirdMan suit occurred on jumps from stationary heights like cliffs or bridges."

As for the "Almost all of his clients have lived to marvel at its wonders" I offer my apologies but would like to point out that the writer, whuffo though he is, did not write the "display copy". Blame the editors, I say, blame the editors.

But come on, death-and-destrcution's good reading!

Yours,
Michael

I'm working on it! I'm doing my best to get someone else to foot the bill (just like I did the last one). Get back to me in a month.

By the way, I did originally have you in the first paragraph of the story with your quote about wearing heals, but it got cut (blame the editors again). So you can keep your virgin. Sorry. With luck I'll get it in elsewhere (get back to me in a month).