LouDiamond

Can it be done?

Got to thinking about the possibility of doing a backwards loop in a BM suit. Does anyone know of it being attempted or done? I'm not sure if one could get enough forward speed to go straight up for the short distance before looping back down. I think this one might fall into the same category as "Can a BM suit be landed?"

Your thoughts on this. Please be sure to include any data to substantiate your hypothesis or SWAGs:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

If you're asking if a back-loop can be performed in a BirdMan suit, I think the answer is yes.

However, if you're asking if a smoke trail made while performing that back-loop would look anything like an "O" (please see attached), then I think the answer has to be no.

Even if you could get enough kinetic energy to perform the stunt, I don't think your arms would be able to support the sustained 3.5 Gs required to pull it off. At least, 3.5 Gs is the normal amount pulled by aerobatic aircraft performing the maneuver.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

However, if you're asking if a smoke trail made while performing that back-loop would look anything like an "O" (please see attached), then I think the answer has to be no.

Even if you could get enough kinetic energy to perform the stunt, I don't think your arms would be able to support the sustained 3.5 Gs required to pull it off. At least, 3.5 Gs is the normal amount pulled by aerobatic aircraft performing the maneuver.

These are my exact same thoughts on this. I imagine a back loop done in a suit with smoke would look more like a straight line with a small retrace on itself with a 90 degree heading down from the original line of flight. Maybe I can convince Kevin922 to try this with his new smoke attachment:D
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

i have dataloged from a jumps done with a skyflyer and a piggy backed passenger in full head down to gain speed followed by the passenger droping off and the pilot pulling up in the wingsuit. best jump yet reached speeds of close to 280mph and 0 vertical speed after the 'flare'. based on that i do not think it is possible with a single pilot to gain altitude even for a short period or as per this thread perform a back loop. btw there was damage to the skyflyer from these attempts (stitching becoming undone).

protracks are great, but the hardware is not up to the task of datalogging for this purpose. the sample rate is too slow to draw definate conclusions. we have used both protracks and prologs as back up to our dataloggers on many jumps and the data between the protracks/prologs never match even amoung multiple protracks in the same mounting location.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

reached speeds of close to 280mph and 0 vertical speed after the 'flare'.
dan<><>

Dan, am I understanding you correctly, by 0 vertical do you mean weightlessness?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING