kevin922

Problems with Cutaways.....

Okay, I emailed Kim & Jari about this, but figured i'd post and see if I got a response quicker this way from some other birds.

So, my first set of cutaways that came with the suit didn't fit correctly, they were too long. I tried to trim the things to the correct size but used everything except for a firearm to cut the cable. Sissors, wire cutters, knives, etc.. finally got it cut - however it left some wire sticking out which caught on every loop when trying to feed the cable in. I was talking to a birdman instructor @ my DZ and he said it is possbile to shove the cutaway down into the handle futher. So figuring I just didn't figure that out correctly, I ordered a 2nd set so that I wasn't messing up my loops. The 2nd set is even worse! There is .5 - 1 inch of extra cutaway making it impossible to velcro the cutaway handle in place (it sticks down below the place on the leg to velcro it). What in the world do I do to cut these things so that they ends aren't all screwed up and whatnot??

Thanks!

Kevin

Hey Kev-

If I'm not mistaken, this is the same cable that is used on your cutaway system on your rig. Wire snips worked for mine.
Regarding the exposed wire after cutting: the trick is to use a lighter and melt the end of the cable ever-so-slightly and, carefully/quickly using your fingers (if it's too heated, the plastic sticks to your fingers, peels your skin off, and in general isn't a pretty sight), "pull" some of that softened plastic coating over the exposed end of wire. That makes it smooth again so it won't catch on the loops. Oh yeah, make sure to do this with the cutaway handle fully extracted from your suit the first go-round. It would suck to burn your suit trying this. ;)
If that doesn't make sense, ask your rigger to show you how they fix the cutaway cables on a rig.

hope this helps,
arlo:ph34r:

two things first off all check that you have pushed the cable fully into the pads before making any cuts and second we dont cut them we leave them out, allows you to pull the tips up before exit to ensure all cables are in place. very useful for checking and allows more movement as you are less likely to miss a joint on the top of the wing. It might not lokimas pretty but its safe and works well.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Fraser
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

dont cut them we leave them out, allows you to pull the tips up before exit to ensure all cables are in place

I do the same thing, grab the left cable with my right hand and the right cable with my left hand to give them a quick tug before exit - I've seen someone discover loose cables on the ride up using this technique.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Kevin,

I'll miss next weekend (family) but if you're still frustrtated when I get back, I can help you out.
My excess pushes back into the handle, just like handles on a rig. If you can't cram the excess into the handle, and would rather not have them hang out the top, we'll trim them. (I'm also a rigger, I repack and maintian Ned's student rigs)

-christian

Kevin,

I'll miss next weekend (family) but if you're still frustrtated when I get back, I can help you out.
My excess pushes back into the handle, just like handles on a rig. If you can't cram the excess into the handle, and would rather not have them hang out the top, we'll trim them. (I'm also a rigger, I repack and maintian Ned's student rigs)

-christian

Okay. Well I tried shoving it into the handle but that only helped so much.

Thanks!

Kevin

While your cables might seem a bit long when you first assemble your suit/rig combo, I have personally experienced many instances where the slack gets taken right up when you sit down and move around a bit. It is for this reason that I would hesitate to cut the cables. If, on the other hand, you have never had "cable creep" then you can seriously think about cutting them a bit. As Arlo stated, it's really not tough to cut the cables with a set of diagonal side cutters, then burn the ends to cover the exposed cable.

I am very cognizant of "cable creep" now, having on several occasions taken notice of it right before exit. Check your cables prior to every exit. Also, check to make sure none of your tabs have pulled free from their seams. My roomate experienced a tab blowout at Rantoul this year.

Chuck
BM-I

Why don't you just leave the cables as long as they can be, making sure you can still cutaway the wings succesfully... excess cable just means extra security.. I leave all the cables out and check them before exit, its also easier for the non-wingsuit jumpers who stare at you in bewilderment when you ask if they can see cable protruding at the back... Just my opinion.

Fordy
Fordy