TAKT

Hybrid Tri + lineset for Tri Comp

I have a hybrid 160 and a CRW 160 and both are different beasts. The CRW tri is much more responisve. I think the line set is shorter on the CRW tri and I get the impression the trim is abit different. I don't see any problems with changing the line set but be aware it MIGHT fly differently and you MIGHT need to get used to different landing charectaristics. Only 1 way to find out!

Also, if you are using a CRW line set I make an assumption you might be doing some competition or regular proper CRW.

With that in mind be aware that a deployment bag 'can' cause issues during very quick sub terminal openings. I had a pilot chute that was snagged by the bridle (probably sloppy packing) and the bag wasn't pulled clear. The bag dropped in the burble (I was upright, less than 2 seconds off the door), did a lap arount my left ankle and caught my right arm (investigating what I then thought was a PC in tow) and left me in a rather interesting situation - upside down entangled by an arm and a leg under a spinning bag of washing. The pain was made worse by the fact my slider was tied for a fast opening and by the time the canopy came out I was more or less terminal. I was bruised for weeks. The pain was made even worse after my mates recovered my canopy, having watched a cow empty it's back end all over it. And then after hosing it down, a DZ dog did the same!!!!!

After that I took the bag off and pack the canopy by neatly freestowing the lines in the bottom of the container. Be aware if you do this you need to keep an eye on the bridle attachment points as free-stowed openings put wear on the canopy and the hybrids lack some reinforcing tape that the CRW spec canopies have. A good rigger should be able to reinforce the attachment points for little cost if you start to see signs of wear. Also - don't try to freefall the canopy in this configuration. Unless you wan't your legs to land a couple of minutes before the rest of you!

Oh yeah, and make sure your exits are solid before you jump freestowed kit too!

Have fun!

Hope that helps.

There are definitly some differences. The outside non-cascaded A lines for one. The hybrid only has non-cascaded center A's. Also, if buying second hand, some teams have had their own line sets made so you might find you have a canopy with a slightly different trim. The canopy may have had a routine reline at some point and you don't know if changes were made then. I will get my tape measure out this weekend and say conclusively whether there is a difference between my hybrid and CRW tris. I also have 2 hybrid 175s. They have slighly different line sets too and fly slightly differently to each other.

The main point I will make is: in my experience flying hybrids and CRW tris, there is a noticable difference in the way they fly. I was always under the impresseion that CRW tris had shorter lines but I will measure mine and see. Although you can stick any line set you want on your canopy, don't assume it will fly exactly the same either. Lines stretch over time and 2 seemingly identical canopies can have their own 'personalities'.

I agree with Vectorboy. The linesets are the same. CRW Tris don't necessarily have non-cascaded outside A's. I had to have mine de-cascaded after purchase.
An Aerodyne source informed me about the linesets when I asked him about the different flying characteristics.