sabre1700

Wisconsin CRW Boogie Sept 24-26th

Third Annual Wisconsin CRW Boogie

September 24-26th, 2010

http://www.skydivemilwaukee.com/

Sky Knights DZ is located in Southeastern Wisconsin, 1/2 hr drive from Milwaukee and just a short drive north from Skydive Chicago.

Aircraft: Twin Otter, PAC XL, Cessna 182

We will have our usual fun, relaxed CRW dives, and pehaps do some larger Vertical Formations (more on that later).

We’ll have more details and the “List” soon. But, mark the dates on your calendar. It'll be fun.

Note: We picked the weekend after the CRW Nationals, in the hope that some folks would find it easier to attend both - single plane ticket and such. But, if you can attend only one, try and make it to Nationals. Beautiful, sunny, warm Wisconsin will always be here next year. CRW competition may not if we don’t support it. Of course, if CF competition isn’t really your thing, you can just come to the Boogie. We promise that no one will poke fun at you for being to chicken to compete! :-)

Blue skies,

Razz and April

Dates: Sept 24-26th

"The List"
1) Jim Rasmussen *
2) April Schuldt *
3) Jason Smith *
4) Brian Martin *
5) John Bechtel *
6) Bob Felt *
7) Linda Ruiz
8) Brent Racine *
9) Jay Kedley
10) Ken Kniech
11) Tim Schue
12) Jeff Klingbell
13) T LaVonne
14) Keith Paulson
15) Paul Peterson
16) Andi Bongert
17) Tom Stewart
18) Jeff Paulsen
19) Dave Holmvik
20) Jeremy Olexa
21) Bill Grace
22) Josh Luba
23) Brad Kult
24) Mike Livieri
25) Dave Prozinski
26) Eric Bernetski
27) Chad Neidigh *
28) Bart Stonestreet *
29) Eduardo Guillen

* Means you're planning warming up for the Boogie by going to CRW Nationals. We'll have something special for everyone who goes to Nationals before the Boogie.

Hi Everyone! Razz can answer a lot of the questions regarding this boogie but if you have anything you would like to know specific to Sky Knights as a dropzone or DZ wise relating to this boogie I can help out in answering those questions too.

If you have been to this boogie before I am one of the dudes who was cooking and running around all day helping to make things flow. I am also one of the DZ Managers for Sky Knights. So let me know if you have any questions and/or feel free to provide feedback regarding last years boogie as we are in the planning stages of how things are going to operate this year.

I'm excited to see all our CRW friends and have some great skydives!

Thanks,
Derrick
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Hasn't been a lot of activity on this thread, you guys all have your own email list or something right?

Well, we posted pre-registration today. There is a cutoff date for if you want a t-shirt. The pre-registration includes a t-shirt that is more boogie orientated and there is a seperate CRW shirt. Boogie pre-registration ends September 7th and food registration ends September 18th.

All that information is here:

http://skyknights.skydivemilwaukee.com/the-news/213-cheese10-boogie-details.html
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

For sure we will be open by noon. If people get back to Jim (Raz) and let us know that there will be loads for the morning on Friday we will be open earlier.
~D

We're a little over three weeks out from the Boogie and the list is over 50!

Please preregister here:

http://skyknights.skydivemilwaukee.com/event-registration.html

Time for some more details and time to start talking about what we'd like to do.

Dates: Sept 24-26th

First off, some folks will be getting in on Thurs, and many others will be coming up from Chicago, as soon as Nationals wrap up. (oh, and if you can go to Nationals, please by all means do so. It will be great fun and the more the merrier. We really could use some more folks for 8-way.)

Thursday Sept 23rd:
Aircraft will be flying on Thursday starting at NOON, for anyone who would like to make some warmup jumps. If you will be getting in early on Thurs, and plan on jumping, let me know, I'll make a list so everyone will know how many other Crwdogs there'll be to play with.

Friday Sept 24th:
We will be jumping first thing in the morning Friday and all the way through sunset on Sunday.

7am circle-up on Friday morning, so we're ready to jump by 8am. We can discuss how early we'd like to start on Saturday and Sunday, but my vote, as always would be for an early start time.

Night jumps (Friday or Saturday Sept 24th or 25th):

A number of folks have expressed and interest in doing night jumps
Sunset will be 6:50pm, Moon Rise 7:00pm Friday, 7:30pm Sat.

Moon will be useful earlier on Friday, 1/2 hr later on Saturday. So, I'd suggest that Friday night would work better for night jumps, but we could do Saturday, if that is the overwhelming preference of folks. So, if you really want to do night jumps, let me know, and if you have a strong preference for one night or the other, let me know that as well. We can discuss the details about what to bring for night crw, once we have a count of how many want to do night jumps.

Organizers:
The following folks have generously offered to organize/pilot for the weekend:

Mike Lewis
Raul Ramirez
Eduardo Guillen
Cheryl Michaels
Kirk VanZandt
Jim Rasmussen
Eric Gallan
Damien Ristaino

There should should be a good mix of experience and enthusiasm for dives of all sizes and skill levels

Goals for the Boogie.
1) Keep things reasonably safe.
2) Have fun and get everyone involved in dives they'll have fun on.
3) Place people as best we can by skill level in slots they'll find interesting and challenging, within the constraints of safe dive plans.
4) Respond, as best we can, to reasonable requests to switch folks around. So, if you're on a dive you'd rather not be on, or in a slot your not comfortable with, or have a group you'd rather be with, please speakup.

What you can do:

1) Register in advance at the Dropzone's Registration Page

http://skyknights.skydivemilwaukee.com/event-registration.html

It will help the dz to plan, and it will speed things up when you arrive. Please do this soon, as they'll need to order T-Shirts, plan food, etc.

2) Please, if you not crw current, get out and do some crw. Of course, and there is no better way to get current than to compete at Nationals the week before the boogie! But regardless, you'll fly smoother, dock faster and generally have more fun at the boogie if you show up current.

3) Spend some time thinking about; Aircraft Exit safety (timing, delays, collision avoidance), Eschelon flying (positioning, clearing turns, approach angles, flight controls), Formation flying (arching, trim, breakdowns, starburst counts, and exit angles), Emergency procedures, landing patterns (positioning, being predictable, defensive flying techniques). Much of the preparation for larger formation flying is mental, spend some time thinking about it, reviewing what you know and asking questions, if you're not sure, especially if you haven't done much big way lately.

State Record Attempt:

We will do one or two attempts at setting a new Wisconsin State Record CF formation, early Saturday morning. The current record is a 25-way, set last year.

As with last year, the limit is likely to be the aircraft lift capacity for the dive. This means that some very good fliers will necessarily be left off the record dive. There is no helping this, but hopefully, everyone will keep in mind the limitations we have to operate under, and keep a good perspective on things. We'd like to set a new State Record, for the fun of it, but not make the whole weekend about that, and certainly not at the expense of fun and safety.

Other dives:

Wisconsin Women's CRW Record
Cheryl Michaels has offered to pilot a Wisconsin Women's Crw record. We should have a good number of women for it, and who knows it could just be the start of something bigger...

If you're interested in being on the Wisconsin Women's Crw Record, and you lack the balls for it, please let me know and I'll pass on the list for Cheryl.

Vertical formations:

We would also like to build some tall vertical formations this weekend, using partially planed stack (PACK) formations.

We've experimented with this type of formation over the summer, and I believe it has good potential. We will certainly have the talent for this weekend and, if the interest is there, we could attempt some unique and challenging skydives.

Clearly these dives won't appeal to everyone, and they definitely won't be the sole focus of the weekend. They will entail some additional risks, planning, and rigging, as well as different flying techniques.

The following will be needed for these dives:
1) Carefully matched wing loadings. (1.3-1.35 ideally everyone would be lightly loaded with weights, to allow us to make adjustments)
2) Matched trim and line lengths (WR trim and line lengths, short-lined canopies won't work for this)
3) Helmets
4) A-B line cross connectors (will be provided, rigging takes about 15 minutes)
5) Ability to make smooth planed docks (not something most of us have practiced much lately).
6) Desire to try something new, challenging and potentially risky skydives.

These will be experimental formations, and we will make the primary focus managing the additional risks. The goal will be to build progressively larger formations, gauge the flight characteristics, make adjustments as necessary, and then based on what we see, either go larger or move on something else.

If you're interested, please let me know and I'll send you some additional information on what we have planned for these dives.

"The List"

1) Jim Rasmussen *
2) April Schuldt *
3) Jason Smith *
4) Brian Martin *
5) John Bechtel *
6) Bob Felt
7) Linda Ruiz
8) Brent Racine
9) Jay Kedley
10) Ken Kniech
11) Tim Schue
12) Jeff Klingbell
13) T LaVonne
14) Keith Paulson
15) Paul Peterson
16) Andi Bongert
17) Tom Stewart
18) Jeff Paulsen
19) Dave Holmvik
20) Jeremy Olexa
21) Bill Grace
22) Josh Luba
23) Brad Kult
24) Mike Livieri
25) Dave Prozinski
26) Eric Bernetski
27) Chad Neidigh *
28) Bart Stonestreet *
29) Eduardo Guillen
30) Todd Martin *
31) Damien Ristaino *
32) Eric French
33) Bob Edminston *
34) Ernie Pliscott
35) Eric Gallan *
36) Raul Ramirez
37) Sean Jones *
38) Don Johnson *
39) Steve Cannestra
40) Wes Shivers
41) Gina Marinelli
42) Daniel Harvey
43) Korissa Bomba
44) Abbie Mashaal*
45) Jamie Cromer
46) Shireen Khavari
48) Don Bromley
49) Sarah Bromley
50) Mike Muscat
51) Kris (Sharon's sister!)
52) Cheryl Michaels *
53) Annie Dekoker
54) Kirk VanZandt

* Means you're planning warming up for the Boogie by going to CRW Nationals. We'll have something special for everyone who goes to Nationals before the Boogie.

Derrick your club puts on one GREAT boogie!! After nationals your club was so welcoming and friendly to all the newcomers and was so much fun. Look forward to your club's next event

Todd

Thanks! We were quite happy to meet many new people and see lots of familiar faces again! I hope to see you all again soon.

Blue Skies!
~D

My dad has recently suffered some medical setbacks... so, I've been spending my extra time driving 300 miles one way to be with him. That's why I missed this years event.

That being said.... Howd you guys do? New records? Video? Comon!!!! I'm sorry I wasn't there, but I'd love to hear some stories.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Friday was extremely windy and no loads went up. Saturday and Sunday were chilly with occasional weather holds due to clouds. We made two attempts at a 30-way on Sunday morning. The first built to 29, the second built to 26. Hairy Bob was organizing a Wisconsin POPS CRW record, but due to weather and people having to catch flights home no attempts were made. The freefallers did manage to set an new state POPS record of 30.