StefB

Canopy Flocking?

Canopy flocking is tight flying of high performance canopies (no contact) and there are more and more events upcoming:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3555692;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

As well as videos e.g. on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=canopy+flock&aq=f

Maybe this is a good opportunity to attract people to CRW (canopy formation) as well?

I hope there is a small step between no-contact with high performance canopy and contact with crw-suitable canopy when the first fear is gone and people see that it is possible to fly in close distance in a safe, controlled manner.

What do you think?

Over the last four or five years, I have been in some formations with Xaoses at high wing loadings. Stacks, offsets, etc, as we were trying to build an 'X' with them.

Currently our team jumps the JFX at 2.1 for competion. They are wonderful canopies! We did have to put 550 lines on them, though.

What "fear" are you talking about?
Jump more, post less!

> What "fear" are you talking about?

Sometimes i ask jumpers why they don't do canopy formation. Often there is "fear" being in close distance to another canopy in the air. There are other reasons (lack of gear or instruction) too.

Maybe this is memory from their instruction or canopy collisions over crowed landing zones.

That fear I hear all the time. I usually respond that they sound like a whuffo, "I'm scared," "why would anyone do that?" and the ever popular, "I'd kill anyone who comes near me!"

Of course, these usually are the same people that I hate to be around at opening time, because they are so air unaware. Just focused on getting into the landing pattern, or stowing a slider, or undoing their booties without awareness of those around them.

I like to remind them that crw gives you skills that can easily save your life.

oh well.

Jump more, post less!

Since my DZ does not have any dogs, well we have one guy who used to, I decided that if I wanted to experience CReW, it would be up to me to give it a go.

Hobbie & I tried to bump end-cells one day but we just didn't get the touch before our break-altitude. Then I talked Dan into trying it and we got the end-cells together. This weekend, I did it again with Kelly and Mike for their first times. Kelly and I held it for a couple of thousand feet and then she went below and behind me.

She looked like she was in position to where we could
dock but we didn't because we never discussed it and don't really have it figured out anyhow.

So without any coaching or real knowledge other than the SIM and innuendo, 4 of us have dismissed the fear of close proximity flying and are pumped to just do it. We've done sunset X/C loads before but it would be really cool to do one with all of us in one tight flock.

Anything is possible given enough altitude:)

It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

buff, cool that you have the drive to learn no contact CRW and still stay safe. I hope you find a CRW dog soon to teach you with proper gear and procedures. Hey CRW dogs - there is a DZ with FOUR potential CRW puppies waiting!!!!

I'd be happy to ge out to Kansas and help some crw pups along!

Better yet, come out to Lodi where we have the extra rigs, extra canopies, lots of lifting power, $15 to altitude. Oh yeah, my house with the pool, hot tub and lots of beer only 20 minutes away!

Jump more, post less!