TaeKwonDoDo

Help with ZP....

I got my rig this weekend and did my first ZP pack-job... Getting it in the bag was a little tight, but otherwise it was a piece of cake! Well, it didn't have an AAD (out for service) and I'm 2-jumps away from my A, so I let one of the instructors jump it to check it out.

Well, I got to re-pack it later that evening at home and... It turned into the packjob from hell.

I just couldn't seem to get what seemed like 10lbs of shit in a (deployment) bag I know was only meant to hold 5 lbs. Somewhere I was picturing with greater understanding why childbirth is a unidirectional manuver.

At one point, I must have been getting delusional because as I could of swore I heard the fabric laughing at me when I left the room. Somewhere off in the background I hear "those lips sure do look purdy" and banjos strumming.

This sucker was Alive! Anyone see the movie "The Blob"? How it was really small and it grew to a massive size?

So I can remain sane - can someone give me their pointers with putting a ZP into a really small deployment bag?

Thanks,

- Jeff

"That's not flying, it's falling with style."

pointers with putting a ZP into a really small deployment bag?

Maybe that's the answer, the bag might be too small for that canopy.

But anyway, the way I do it (and I have a NEW canopy too) is after S-folding it, I place it on top of the D-bag, trim one side and put that half in, then the other, I find this way more maneuveable than S-folding and trimming the whole thing and trying to put it in.

Get the air out before starting to pack first of all.... Also, always keep your hands on the canopy at least until you get more packs under your belt and you get better at packing. If you give it a chance to escape from you it will.

It is kinda like a twisted sport to watch a guy/gal with limitied packing experience dive into a ZP canopy. Just figure it will take some time and the feeling of an aerobic workout, not to mention the breaking of the damn rubber bands when you really dont need it to break. But that saiid, with a smile on my face there are some tricks but what really need to be done is a good number of packs. the tricks come from lots of packing experience and dont really translate well to words . Besides that the basics of how to pack need to be in place. Talk to your instructors or packers at the DZ I am sure they will help you out.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

It is kinda like a twisted sport to watch a guy/gal with limitied packing experience dive into a ZP canopy. Just figure it will take some time and the feeling of an aerobic workout...

That pretty well describes it. My wife was watching the first time I "S" folded it and couldn't get it in - she (wisely) left for the second go-around.

Thanks,

- Jeff

You should know to things:
- Time is not your friend.
- It almost does not matter what way to put it in if you keep the essential part: lines in the bottom or lines in the middle. Or it even can be rolled check psychopack.

I can try to draw it.

Packing nazis might crucify me.

I. Make a bit narrower than the D-bag. Lay on it push the air out. Start the S in the 2nd third like the arrow.
II. Put your knee on the top and push the air out and turn the material inside like those arrows.
III. thats from the top: turn the top of the canopy inside, but leave the bridle out.
You get something like IV.
V. Put one corner into the D-bag, arrange the bridle to the ring at the D-bag.
Push the air othot from the other side and oush it into the D-bad.
VI.. If its too much still outside: push in like VII/1 and turn the corners(VII/2) inside the D-bag like VII/3.

So dont let it a single moment!

Something I find very useful that I don't see many people do--

I S-fold the top of the canopy only. After laying on it and getting all of the air out and narrowed down to bag width, I swiftly and neatly put 1 s-fold in the top of the canopy. I then put it in the bag. Once the top half of the canopy is in the bag, I move off of the lines/grommets and get out above the bag. I then pull the lines and bottom section of the canopy up and s-fold it INTO the bag.

This gives you less canopy to try to stuff in the bag at one time, and allows you to neatly fold in the bottom section with the lines and grommets.
...FUN FOR ALL!

Thanks - sounds like this might alleviate the suffering. I'll give it a try - to re-cap:

Fold the top down first and stuff it in the bag, then s-fold the front half and stuff it inbetween the fold that's already in the bag.

Yes?

Also, someone mentioned psycho-pack.... what's that?

TIA,

- Jeff

Well, it's all been said i think. Also glad I'm not alone hehehe. Bought my ZP.exe brand new and ohhh boy, what a bas***d it was to pack. After paying for the first 3 pack jobs I decided to practice at home.

I tried every thing. Even fliped it over after the air was squeezed out, Keeping it down with my foot and just rolling the bugger ;)

Luckily I have it down from that first 6 hour session to about 15 minutes in 70 pack jobs or so. So here are my pointers for what its worth:

1. As said, speed is important.
2. Controlling the canopy is even MORE important.
3. Do the first S-fold. Keep the canopy under control.
4. Do the second S-Fold.
5. Place knee on the bundle to keep control and then stuff the ears in the pocket.
6. Roll one side nice and tigh and place in d-bag.
7. Roll other side and place in d-bag.
8. Now here comes my little improvisation: roll the s-fold on the open side of the dbag tightly INOT the dbag, trying to roll dbag into itself basically.
I then also turn the dbag upside down and knee on it to get more air out and repeat the roll manuevre.

Ususally after that its a breeze to get the tube stows through the grommets.

Hope this made sense and helped.

CHeers
Grounded?!?!?! Whadda ya mean I'm "GROUNDED"?!?!?!?!

I S-fold the top of the canopy only. After laying on it and getting all of the air out and narrowed down to bag width, I swiftly and neatly put 1 s-fold in the top of the canopy. I then put it in the bag. Once the top half of the canopy is in the bag, I move off of the lines/grommets and get out above the bag. I then pull the lines and bottom section of the canopy up and s-fold it INTO the bag.

This gives you less canopy to try to stuff in the bag at one time, and allows you to neatly fold in the bottom section with the lines and grommets.

Someone at my local DZ showed me something similar to this and I must say it works a treat. Takes a couple of pack jobs to get the hang of it but worth while trying.

Once you get the air out and have the canopy at the right width for the bag, while still lying on the canopy fold the top of the canopy underneath (u will need to raise the top half of your body ). Stay lying on the canopy and check the width (dont worry if it is a little wider it will fit). Next get up quickly and fold what is now the top of the canopy (with the fold already done) back on top of the canopy so that you now have an S fold in the top of the canopy. Put your knees on this and prepare the bag (don't worry to much about the bottom of the canopy filling a little with air just keep the air out of the part you have just S folded). I find it easier to put a corner at a time in the bag. Once in the bag quickly move to the top of the bag (you will be facing your container) and stop the canopy in the bag inflating by continuing to roll into the bag as required then roll the bag forward so that the mouth of the bag is facing the ground on top of the bottom of your canopy and put a knee on it. This now gives you a chance to use your hands to remove any air from the remainder of your exposed canopy. When ready roll the bag upright and push(fold) the remainder of the canopy into the bag between the other fold hence creating another S fold in the bag. You should now be able to control it while you close the bag (roll the bag forward a little to make this easier).

Hope this helps . :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk