dalebutterworth

Lightning pilotchute in tow issues

A lot of Lightning users in OZ have problems with pilotchutes in tow when using throwaways. To resolve this we have lengthened the bridles and changed the routing as documented below.

I’m interested in other solutions people have developed to resolve this?

Thanks, Dale

The current solution: Make a new longer bridle and change the routing.

Standard Lightning routing: Left ring -> Right -> Center -> Pilotchute.
Modified routing: Center Ring -> Left -> Right -> Center -> Pilotchute.

The advantage: An extra 70cm of bridle and no P/C’s in tow.
Disadvantage: Increased risk of the bridle jamming*

* This was solved by

1) Installing a nipple/pin tab and/or moving it very close to the canopy attachment point.
2) Using 500lb dacron for the bridle.
3) Ensuring the bridle is clear and routed correctly after each jump! See the Triathlon routing picture for more info.
4) We haven’t had any problems since applying changes 1-3 but if it does jam, pulling the front risers to your knees, then dropping them solved it every time.

My bridle is just short enough to let the canopy open and inflate properly and to the proper size. and it lets me use a throw away like a pull out system. :oI just pull the PC at full arm extension and then throw it away. I have sor tof long arms.:)
I do need a new PC. Other wise I haven't had any problems with a PC in tow.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

I think a PC in tow problem is more an indication of 1) a ragged out PC, 2) too small a PC, or 3) too much tension on the closing pin. Rather than adding bridle length and getting into Triathlon-like retraction problems, try lengthing the closing loop if the pin is tight, or get a new and/or larger PC. I use a 30" ZP PC with large hole marquisette mesh.

P.S. I actually shortened my bridle (with the standard routing) so that the PC gets pulled into the center ring. The only PC in tow problems I've ever had or seen were cured by one or another of the above-recommendations.

I'll second the PC issue. I used Chuck's PC from his triathlon and got some hesitation on my lightning. Ordered a new 30 " ZP, and it has worked perfect.

I also had the same issue on my collapsible PC. I would get 2-3 seconds before it would pull the pin and have hard openings. Replaced it and it's been great ever since.

Hey Dale,

Did a 2 way jump with Matt the other day. He pitched off my opening and as I turned to the first point he was going straight down with the canopy struggling to inflate. It sorted itself out after about 10 seconds but after the jump he said he wanted me to dock so he could chop without losing the gear:S.

I'd go with everything Chuck Brown said, and make sure you're using curved closing pin, not a straight one.

I have my Lightning bridle much shorter than stock and still it pulls the closing pin every time. I'm using a 34" ZP pilot chute.. throwing it out hard to make sure it clears my burble.

blue skies & soft grass,
Chris

Matt was obviously thinking that the pilot chute was a ham/cheese/tomato sandwich. He does NOT like throwing them away.

Tell Matt his pilot chute is a falffel vegie burger. He'll throw it so far away that he'll never have a hessie again. ;)

Seriously though. most hessies are due to lazy throws, followed by incompatable and worn gear, etc. Make sure the mesh is not overstretched, ensure you launch it out of your burble, allow for relative wind (this changes on aircraft type due to varying airspeeds), and allow for the angle of your body to relative wind.

If you are going a longer bridle, make sure it can fully retract, otherwise your performance and safety can be affected.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

You might want to look at some of the smaller BASE jumping Pilot Chutes. Asylum Designs makes 32" and 38" ZP Apex Vented (AV) pilot chutes. The Apex Vent keeps the pilot chute stable to reduce off heading openings. I use the 32" AV PC for CRW, the last I heard the U.S. team was using custom 36" AV PCs.

http://www.asylumbase.com/