JumpShipGypsy

what size conopy?

Ive been on 2 crew jumps now and had a blast. Id like to do more.

Im about 190 without gear. And have been jumping a (borrowed) sabre 190.

I need to buy a canopy so i thought "why not buy one thats good for CReW?"

So, what kind of wing loading do Crew jumpers usually use? And do i need a crew specific conopy like a lightning to get invited on more crew jumps?

Also, I may have the opertunity to travel a lot in 2006. Where can i go that has a lot of Crew going on and they like newbies? Ben

Ben didn't you make your first 2 & 3 stacks at the Star Boogie in ID. You did a great job I was lurking just below and behind you on the 2 way with DJ Alexander and then the next jump dock on you for your 3 stack with BJ as well. I look forward to doing more CRW with you in the near future. We have your caravan for the winter and have a Boogie the third weekend of each month so swing down to Richland sometime and we can jump make a couple jumps together.

There is a lightning 160 for sale in the classifieds you might want to look at. Not sure what your exit weight is but for most of the CRW camps and larger events there is a set standard/ guide line for wing loading (correct me if I'm wrong CRW GODs) that is between 1.30 & 1.375. The canopy I used (Thank you Paul Bliss) when we jumped together is a 160 and loaded at 1.25 a 145 would load me at 1.39. So for me it is easier to add weight than to try and lose it.

There is more than enough knowledge in this forum to help you get a canopy that will work best for you. Just ask around they are MORE than happy to help a pup in need.

Safe Docks,
Scott

CSA #699 Muff #3804

You'd probably want a 160. If you want to commit to a true CRW canopy (unable to be used for freefall) you'd definitely want a Lightning for CRW camps and such. If you want an all-around canopy which works well for both freefall and CRW, Triathalons and Spectres (preferably with Dacron lines) are a good choice. You wouldn't be able to use those on big-ways, but they work well for 2 or 3 stacks around the dz..

Oh yeah - there is lots of CRW happening in Florida and California - though its probably easiest to contact some of the guys ahead of time if you're looking for folks to jump with. I do a lot of CRW in central Texas, but my home dz just closed and I haven't quite figured out where I'm going to wander too yet...
W

Usually every Sunday a few of us get together at Sebastian, FL. Newbie friendly too, as if a newbie to CRW wouldn't be welcome anywhere CRW is done.

I use a triathalon Hybrid for a free fall canopy and to do some "light" CRW. It has a few features that most free fall canopies don't have. Orange Dacron, non-cascaded center A lines and retractable pilot chute, and still has the D bag. I built cross connectors for it too just for plane-ups. Nothing different on the risers, standard free fall mini. The canopy came with a bridle for retractable. You have to supply your own standard pilot chute, you can also easily use a kill line pilot chute.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

I started doing CRW on a triathalon hybrid. That way I could use it for both freefall, and CRW jumps. It's not a bad canopy to look into. As for wingloading... I'd be more cautious about getting a 160 if you only have 72 jumps as stated in your profile. If your profile isn't updated, or whatnot, then that's a different story. I don't know about wingloading around a 1.35 at 72 jumps. There are others on here that have much more knowledge than me, so maybe it's not a big deal. I'd just be careful. Welcome to the dark side!!!

CReW Skies,:ph34r:
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

My profile is about right. I will not be going any smaller than 190 any time soon. PERIOD. I work in Alaska now so i dont get to jump very often. So i dont expect to down size for quite a while.

Yea, that was me at the star boogie. I'll be back in WA for a week in january. I may get down to Richland if i have the time. I can travel pretty cheaply with my job so i plan to visit FL in Feb. maybe March and April too. I have the first 15 day off of each month. Ben

I know a couple jumpers that have bigger lightnings (I think 173 and up) that can also be used for regular freefall jumps. You have to put a bag and big slider (with pockets maybe) on 'em for freefall jumps, but they work fine. I think you want the hybrid F111/ZP or all-F111 version of these lightnings, not the all-ZP ones, and not the smaller lightnings (143 and lower).

So maybe that lightning 193 could work for you, if you modify it slightly. It'll be harder finding a used hybrid Triathlon in that size...

ciel bleu,
Saskia