homer

break line length

Just how must brake line slack should I have on my Lightning. With the brakes set at the manufaturer setting unstowed and all the way up there is almost no line slack. If anything it looks to me to still be pulling the back of the canopy down. The canopy will stall at just over half brakes.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Most of the big way guys use pd's sequential trim, in fact it is a requirement for the world record, as i believe it was for the last one.

I have about 2" to 3" of slack in the brake lines, I also use large togles, as was mentioned in a previous post this is so when you pull down on the front risers you dont apply brakes was well, which negates the effect of the front riser, makes you tired and gives you big biceps.

plastic

Not sure but I think that they may have been shortened by the friend of Paul's that used the canopy for a few camps. Paul and Frank (my hubby) who are riggers suggest the following --

Whatever the reason and however the length was adjusted you will want to go back to factory settings and then try a range of between 2"-3" at the most.

When you are under canopy you will see a slight curving amount of slack in the lines, check your stall point and so forth up in the air and then the real test at flare time.

Hope you can get out and do some CRW soon!

Thanks Liz I hope to get the chance to jump the canopy again soon so I can find the right setting. I'm looking get some CRW jumps in here in the next couple weeks. Already planning for a camp next summer in the Carolinas.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Just how must brake line slack should I have on my Lightning. With the brakes set at the manufaturer setting unstowed and all the way up there is almost no line slack. If anything it looks to me to still be pulling the back of the canopy down. The canopy will stall at just over half brakes.

It sounds like the brakes are too tight. Sometimes the lines shrink over time. Also, make sure you keep them untwisted, as like all canopies, that will shorten the effective length of the line.

With the toggles all the way up, there should be a definite bow in the steering lines behind the canopy and no tension on the tail. You should be able to pull about 2"-3" on the toggles before seeing any tension on the tail.

I frequently put an extra link in the rear riser, so it's important to do the adjustment with that link in, because having the link in shortens the brake setting.

Kevin
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...