phoenixlpr

Merit, opinions please!

After I got my C-lisence (in Finland), I jumped my next ~30 jumps with Merit 150. Comparing it to my Sabre2 135, that Merit actually turned faster (probably because of brakes, those were really tight/short/how ever you say it B|). I didn't use frontrisers that time, so can't say anything about it.

Openings were quite fast but not extremely hard. Packing was very easy ;). Flare was quite good, not as good as on Sabre2, but still in good hands I think it can be swooped well B|.

Overall I could jump that canopy again, nothing really bad fealings about it... oh, maybe openings could be slower :).

Merit have the reputation to
-open hard
-wear fast (a joke around here is to say that PdF sold them already worn, a bit like what they re doing now with the blue jeans...)

It could be a first canopy, if not too heavily loaded... but if you load it, with this kind of characteristic it could hurt your back...
Alambic

Hi,

Im looking for my first rig to buy. One option is Merit 170. I`m 89Kg.

Ive found very little review about PdF Merit.
Have you tried it?

Safe landings.

I have a few jumps on a merit 190 (WL 0.83). Didn't like the canopy at all, for the following reasons:

1) I came from skymaster 230/280, this thing is FAST in comparison (which you might like but I'm more of a wuss)

2) openings are brisk, sometimes hard (had one that left my muscles all over my body aching for 1 1/2 weeks B|)

3) steering range is short (don't know what to call it, but it is VERY responsive on toggles, more so then say PD canopies. Seems this is a french thing)

4) couldn't get it shut down at first, took me 10 jumps of tumbling head over heels. Did I say it's FAST?? :S

What I DID like about it:

1) it packs real easy since it's a hybrid; half ZP half F111 (or the french version of)

2) their ubiquitous here, and are cheap to get 2nd hand

3) they pack small so you can stuff a larger main in your container

All in all, not my canopy, but then I'm a 7cell fan, and a fan of soft openings (I jump camera)... I also wouldn't like to really load this thing, it isn't made for it I think, and it's REALLY responsive then. I bought a spectre 150 for a first canopy, but would not have dared to jump a merit 150 AT ALL (WL 1).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Hi,
My 2 cents opinion: do not buy a used Merit. When they are worn out, I feel uncomfortable landing them.

If you want a very good intermediate canopy from PdF buy an Electra, they're easy to fly, easy to land and easy to pack.

Laurent, autrefois sur l'ile de La Reunion
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/windsurf/skydive