genoyamamoto

Have you ever flow your canopy backwards?

Sure, we had a guy at our dropzone who was doing an intentional cutaway, so just for fun he connected his main onto his rig backwards.. I didn't see it, but I guess it was pretty funny watching a guy in full flight on a fast canopy going backwards.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Sure, we had a guy at our dropzone who was doing an intentional cutaway, so just for fun he connected his main onto his rig backwards.. I didn't see it, but I guess it was pretty funny watching a guy in full flight on a fast canopy going backwards.

There is a certain member on dz.com that crossed his risers when he put his canopy back in the rig....not only did he fly it backwards, he landed it without a problem (I think it was his Jedei)! Did I mention he was wearing a camera! I've seen the video and it was a strange sight it was when he looked up to see he was looking at the tail, bridle and PC!

The way he tells it - he was going to fly it back over the dz to chop it, but then realized he had full control and flare.

I have seen a few people hook up thier canopies backwards and land them... even a crossfire 139 loaded at 1.4.... pretty wild...

I have done a few crew jumps and on a startack (sp?) and cruiselite I was able to fly them backwards.. as previously stated take it down to a stall (prefferably slowly) and keep track of what the canopy is doing.. I found it easiest to control using very minor toggle inputs and mostly harness input when flying backwards.. (both canopies were 220 with 200lbs exit weight)

I have tried this with my crossfire 2 loaded at 1.85 and it wont go backwards... just turns to a ball of shit until I let the toggles up to recover..
I have been stalling my crossfire right and left lately just to see what I can do in flight with it.. its pretty hard to control in a stall, and the canopy rocks WAY behind me when in a stall... there might be a little backward movement, but I drop so quickly its hard to tell... the fun part is when you let up on the toggles really quickly and get thrown all over the place as it re-inflates...

good stuff!
-yoshi