darkvapor

Do you use/turn-on your Cypres?

But my worry is not the best-case scenario you list above :-)
////////////////////////

Trust a CRWDog to refer to passing through 750' in a high-speed wrap as a "best case scenario". :P

I don't mean to imply that the AAD would be a *good* thing to have at that point - as in something you would rely on to save you - but that it couldn't hurt things if it were to activate. I agree that most wraps do not meet the vertical v threshold for activation.

I, too, was concerned about the external RF energy causing CYPRES activations a while back. My understanding was that the little anti-RF sleeve that the company sent out as a retrofit was stopping that energy from getting to the system. Later on a scheduled service for my CYPRES, they put a tag in with it saying that the shielding had been added internally, so the sleeve was no longer needed. I'd be interested in knowing if there have been any of those activations seen on shielded units.

kevin
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

... can you imagine the mess that would have occurred if one had accidently fired in the 70-way?

Hey, it might not be that bad! Consider if you were on the centerline (#25 would be perfect) and you dropped grips and cutaway just as the reserve reached full inflation. The first 70-way ghost pullout! #23 or #24 bring home the main and Brian snags the freebag! ;) Edited to ask: What do you think Chris W (parachutist)?

Seriously though, I have to agree with Wendy here with regards to Cypres and CRW. Personal decision though, and I respect everyone for having their own. Let's all hope we can avoid the down side of either choice.

Bob

Freak Brothers mid 80's....Planned 13 stack from 16,000'
from a DC-3. I was the second one out the door, and
opened up 180 off heading.....resulting in body to body
impact. I was knocked unconscious for about 8 minutes,
regained consciousness around 7500' and still managed
to dock 8th in the stack! ( with a collapsed lung } .....
would'a killed a belly flyer !

I didn't have an AAD ....and still don't !
DUMP HIGH !

What do you think Chris W

Hey that'd be interesting, Bob. I haven't done one of those ghost pullout stunts yet... first time GO BIG :P

Seriously though, I have to agree with Wendy here with regards to Cypres and CRW. Personal decision though, and I respect everyone for having their own. Let's all hope we can avoid the down side of either choice.

I'm still on the fence with this issue. I don't think there's enough evidence to warrant a decision about which would be more dangerous... CRW with AAD's or CRW without. Very few CRW dogs wear modern AAD's... so there has been very little opportunity for the downside of CRW with an AAD to present itself. Is it myth or reality? I still CRW without an AAD whenever I have the choice. Show me the data =]

Chris W.

It's hard to point to a downside for an AAD in CRW. If you are descending at 70 MPH at 700 ft., I can't think of how having your reserve activated can worsen your situation. ***

Last October I asked the CRW organizer at the Alabama Crw record attempts whether I should turn my Cypres on or not. He told me if I have one, use it, because you never know. I'm putting together a 2nd rig for CRW, and I'm going to get another Cypres. Just my personal preference.

Blue Skies
Billy Vance
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban