relyon

Lightning Configuration

A few months ago Rusty Vest of PD sent an e-mail to the CRW community about the standard Lightning configuration. With Rusty's permission I've reposted his e-mail here:

OK Dogs, here's the deal.

After spending the last year talking with the canopy formation community as well as the committee for the record attempts I've submitted an Engineering Change Request to change some things about the PS Lightning. The idea is to reconfigure some of the current standard configuration and add some options.

Since the largest group of users today are the canopy flyers doing non competitive formation flying we want the canopy to fit your basic needs first. It has shown that the more we get the canopy line lengths and trim uniform the better we can perform in large formations.

The actual engineering change will take a bit of time to be completely instituted (lots of paperwork and document changes) so I am providing the CF community with the information. Enclosed is the basics of the request and then ordering instructions (in blue & red) when ordering a new canopy or reline.

My next phase will be to get a revised order form to post on the web www.performancedesigns.com along with a document that will explain all the options.

PD has also authorized Chris Gay and Mark Gregory to sell Lightnings. This was established to afford new crew dogs that attend beginner camps a knowledgeable path for ordering canopies. They will also be a good source for experienced crew dogs.

Here is the basic Engineering Change Request:

1. Make the Poly/Cotton Buffer Panels around the bridle rings optional instead of standard.

2. Make the Mesh Slider standard.

3. Make Stainless Steel grommets standard.

4. Make 9 1/2 foot lines available for the PS-160, 10 1/2 foot lines available for the PS-193. Then make the following chart standard:
PS-113 - 8 ft.
PS-126 - 8 1/2 ft.
PS-143 - 9 ft.
PS-160 - 9 1/2 ft.
PS-176 - 10 ft.
PS-193 - 10 1/2 ft.

5. Change trim designations as follows:
Sequential becomes Trim A.
Rotation becomes Trim B.
Demo becomes Trim C.

6. Make standard the two inboard continuous A Lines and the two outboard continuous A lines Red.

When anyone is ordering a Lightning for non competitive Canopy Formation Flying we will advise the following configuration:

Trim A. (Sequential until the change is signed off)

Line lengths according to the following:
113 - 8 ft.
126 - 8 1/2 ft.
143 - 9 ft.
160 - 9 1/2 ft.
176 - 10 ft.
193 - 10 1/2 ft.

Mesh slider.

Standard Leading Edge Reinforcement.

No cotton buffer patch around bridle rings.

I'm also changing the tail pocket to a less beefy/bulky tail pocket for those who prefer tail pockets.

If you want to send your canopy to PD for a reline Please Do The Following:

1. go to the web site www.performancedesigns.com and download a maintenance repair form
2. fill it out completely
3. call or write Donna Wagner 386 738 2224 [email protected] let her know what size canopy you have and that you want to send it to PD for a reline with the appropriate line length and trim.
4. send us your canopy at the address on the form. Donna will have the line set ordered ahead in order for us to give you the best turnaround possible. The cost for the reline is still only $130.00 plus $15.00 for inspection. (There is going to be a price increase for relines soon, but we will keep this price as long as possible.) note: if your canopy has damage you will be advised of the damage found in order to determine any repairs you want done.

If you want to reline your canopy yourself you can also order the line set from Donna. $90.00

I hope I've covered everything here. If you have any questions drop me a simple e-mail. I'm difficult to reach by phone and my schedule doesn't allow for real quick return calls.

Blue skies,
Rusty Vest
Performance Designs, Inc.
Rusty can be contacted at [email protected]

Bob

That is a good read for a pup like me. But, does this mean.....?

That i need Trim A for formations.

Trim B for competing.

What is this cotton buffer panel and why is it used?

CRW experience to date. 8 jumps and a broken tib/fib.B| With lots of time to learn more about CRW.:)

Line trim A for formations, general all around crw.
Line trim B for serious rotations. If you have trim A, you can add a link to the front for serious rots.
The cotton buffer helps prevent the three rings on the top from damaging the top skin. Leaving the three rings sticking out of your container will do the same thing.
Frank
CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58