tosca

cut away stats

Hi I´m new to crew and wonder a bit about what the statistics says:

How often do skydivers have to cut-away while doing crew:
- on opening
- because of wrap/entanglement
- other

Which is the biggest risk group, experienced skydivers who fly aggressively, or fresh skydivers doing stupid mistakes?

I don't know what the statistics are, but I have seen all three. Only one was an opening chop (both center A lines broken due to a hard opening) and I'll guess those are pretty rare in general. Entanglements and wraps are by far the most common - I've had 7 cutaways, all in that category. Other reasons include damage from entanglements/wraps (hook knife, tears, broken lines), rigging, and even one PC in tow (bridle hitched on the pin).

As far as risk, that's really hard to put a finger on. At least three of mine could be called aggressive flying, but I was doing 8-way speed at the time. Another three were just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. One was what I'd call an experienced skydiver making a freshly stupid mistake.

Bob

Which is the biggest risk group, experienced skydivers who fly aggressively, or fresh skydivers doing stupid mistakes?

I've been doing CReW for about 4 years, 300 CRW jumps, and I have yet to have a CRW cutaway. I think the main reason I've had such a record has been the highly experienced people with whom I've been jumping. Several times that I know of, I've done some things that were likely to cause wraps and cutaways, but Dogs around me were ahead of the game enough to avoid such problems.

Chris Warnock

"Fuck, what was that!?"

"Dunno, something big, fast and orange just ate your ass up, dude. I think we're safe for a while. He fell off you, reinflated a few rows down and looks like he's gonna scare someone else for a while." :)

Hey Chris, you coming to Panama City Beach? We're gonna steal the show, brother.

CRW Skies,

Michael

I've been doing CReW for about 4 years, 300 CRW jumps, and I have yet to have a CRW cutaway. I think the main reason I've had such a record has been the highly experienced people with whom I've been jumping. Several times that I know of, I've done some things that were likely to cause wraps and cutaways, but Dogs around me were ahead of the game enough to avoid such problems.

Chris Warnock

Let's see in ~3100 jumps I've had:

4 malfunctions on freefall gear
1 round reserve ride on old-timey gear
0 mals in CRW (well that I couldn't clear)

7 total CRW cutaways (1600 or so CRW jumps)
Of the CRW ones

1 was a 3-stack with a newbie who did a poor rotation
I was taken out on a 2-way by a newbie who did an EXTREMELY aggressive rotation:-)
One was a dragplane gone bad (poor planning on my part)
1 was on a 9-way where I was so busy coaching the newbie locking me up I forgot to pay attention to my canopy
And the last 3 were big-ways gone screwy (for various reasons).

Hey Chris, you coming to Panama City Beach?

CRW Skies,

Michael

Yes I had a room booked so I could do the swooping comp, and then I found out Mike was organizing some CRW for the event... so I'll be there all week hoping to get in some of both CRW & swooping, depending on what Mike's CRW schedule looks like. =]

Chris