cpoxon

Probe incident

From the minutes of the Safety & Training Committee, British Parachute Association, 28th November 2002

4) viii) One report concerned a display, which happened abroad, but is worth mentioning. This concerned a CF jump, a Tri-by-side formation. The jumpers were attached by ‘probes’, which were attached between the harnesses. One canopy went behind another and the formation started to ‘rock’. In an attempt to ‘cutaway’ the probe, one of the jumpers cutaway his main canopy by mistake. This took place at approximately 250ft. The jumper who cutaway his main was still attached to the other jumper by his probe. Both jumpers landed, without injury under one canopy

:o

Are you familiar with probes? Several military display teams use them to alleviate pressure when building three- and four-by-sides. The probe has a carabiner on each end which the jumper attaches to a ring on the harness and is handed to another jumper to clip onto a ring on their harness. The carabiners are connected by webbing with a 3-ring in the middle. The 3-ring has two handles, two lolon cables and two loops enabling the probe to be cutaway from either end.

If it's who I think it is, these guys are very experienced CRW and demo jumpers. I've used these probes myself and I though I find it difficult to see how they were confused (cutaway on chest vs. cutaway to the side of you), it just goes to show anyone can make a mistake? Be familiar with your drills and your gear.

Yep! It just goes to show that anyone can make a mistake at any time. That we all need to be constantly training and reviewing our procedures. That s--t happens!
I'm happy to not be seeing this in the "Incidents Forum" it could've been nasty...

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868