PhreeZone

Better to be fast or slow?

I'm looking at snagging my own CRW canopy one day soon again and there is a limited CRW group at my DZ. They all use borrowed gear thats fairly large. I'm 175 pounds and have jumped either a Lightning 176 or a Lightning 193 with 15 lbs of lead. On the 176 I had about the perfect rate to stay with the other locals, the 193 with lead I had to keep getting heavy. I traveled and jumped a Lightning 160 and floated bad on the first jump. I added weights and it was better on the second, I did'nt have to get heavy as much but still more then my arms wanted to put up with.

Should I be looking at getting the 160 and using weights on the road/brakes at home, look at a 176 and be fine at home and wear a lot of weight on the road, or even a 143 and be fine on the road and hang in deep brakes at home?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If you weigh 175 lounds, I'd aim for the 160. With my Lightning 113 at 1.3, I've flown with many <1-1 loaded F111 canopies. You'll need lead for travel, but links in the rear risers would be able to help tons when you travel. You're borderline for CRW events - a little light on a 160, a bit heavy on the 143.

W

Yeah, you should be loaded at 1.3 or "better." I'm 195 out the door, but prefer to jump a 143 for some good stuff. I have jumped a 160 and was a little floaty on the stacks. I also own a 193 which I only use when my buds have theirs out, which is rare. I'm in the market for a 143 for next season.B|

I am 215 pounds out of the door and use a Lightning 176 without weights for fun CRW (ie loaded at about 1.2). For competition stuff I prefer a 160 (if I can beg, borrow or steal one) or I wear a weight belt to take me up to 1.3.

Unless you can afford more than one canopy I would go for the 160 and wear some lead when you have to. It is easier than living on a yo-yo diet (L 143)and having to wear shedloads of lead on the road (L176).