Shark

Packing a Lightning

I assume you're not planning on taking it to terminal eh? Do you have a tailpocket or a bag? I normally will never roll the nose because it will make it open off-heading. When I want a slower opening I will bury the nose straight to the tail but often I don't do that.

If you're using a deployment bag, and you're not doing hard-core competition style exits, I'd bury the nose to the tail and save your back :-) On competition exits, its generally packed like a reserve with the nose exposed and such. But since you're using a bag, I expect you're not doing that. I normally just bury the nose to the tail and roll the tail just enough to keep it in place.

How about packing a Lightning if you DO want to go to terminal. I've been told that you can pack it like a tandem rig with rubberbands, etc., and that will give a good opening.

-doug
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Wendy, my Lightning is top-skin ZP only. Is it okay to take to terminal? I'm only talking about may be 15-20 second delay. It is not free-packed. Any thoughts?

15-20 second delay is still as much terminal as a 60 second delay. :-) Only way to know for sure is to do it - I know people who do - I've taken 10 seocnd delays on my freepacked one and it opens pretty brisk. I would use every packing trick in the book to slow it down though when you try it.

W

Even leaving the mesh slider in?

if you have a choice, and you're using it for freefall, definitely use a sail slider. I do know people who have taken freepacked Lightnings with a mesh slider to terminal. Hard opening but they didn't die.

Its not going to be a Spectre snivel for sure, but I expect how bad the opening will be depends on the canopy, the age of the canopy, the weight of the person and how fast they're going.

So expect it to be brisk. How brisk is hard to say.
W

mine is free packed with centre nose cell opened up pretty much as per base packing,and jumped with a full slider one recommendation from an experienced CF jumper/rigger is to place a bungy around all lines just below the slider to ensure full line stretch before the canopy inflates. this has been taken to terminal plus a bit and works just fine, but is very hard on the canopy .

:S
cutaway