waveoff5500

making freefly pylon ideas?

ive seen a couple videos where people are freeflying around a fabric tube pylon and it is flying by itself with what looks like some kind of weight bucket and people can dock on it etc. it looks like a cypress is attached to the side of it (expired im assuming) and i would imagine that the cypress would cut a loop allowing the pylon to act like a PC and deploy some sort of round parachute to allow it to descend safely. have any of you done this or have tips on doing it? i would like to do it as a weekend project. thanks

adam
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

i would like to do it as a weekend project.

It's way more than a weekend project. If you had a rigid container big enough to hold a round reserve, Cypres, and related hardware, you would have to weight it down with 'at least' 50lbs of lead to get it up to freefly speeds trailing a tube.

I have a skyball on my desk that weighs in at over a pound (I'm estimating). It's a tennis ball with a 6 inch tail made from a pull-up cord. So it's naturally aerodymanic to start with, and is trailing very little behind it.

Now picture the container for your 'bomb', think about the frontal area and how many times bigger it is than a skyball. Now add the drag of a the tube, which is 'significant', and you start to get the idea of what sort of weight you would need to get it up to speed.

Next, start to think about the rigging. You would need a harness to connect the tube to the bomb, and then a way to release that harness and allow the tube to become a PC. The release would have to be a single point release, with something small enough to fit through a Cypres cutter. Once that's done, you need another harness to attach the round to the remainder of the bomb for the ride down. The easy part is managing the tube after deployment, just set it up with a freebag (diaper), and let it fall on it's own.

Do you even know how to sew? Or rig anything? Or do anything except turn the water off and on all day long?

the release mechanism could be a 3 ring release, similar to the strong tandem drogue releases. the cypres could cut the loop holding the 3 ring together. thats simple and easy as well as proven. the tube could be attached to the apex of the round canopy and stay attached during decent. the weight should provide enough tension on the lines that the canopy wouldnt be drastically effected by the still attached tube. even if this didnt work, an old freebag could be easily rigged to the tube and work with the same 3 ring system. we can do a couple test drops on see what works best....also if you need any faucet help i can assist you with that.
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"