RTB

breakline setting

How will moving the steering line break point up or down affect the openings in general?
Will a canopy with less brakes open harder or softer?
I can easily try this myself but haven't gotten around to doing it, just curious.

There are two parts to the brake line; the upper portion that runs from the canopy to the brake stow loop is a "fixed" length set by the manufacturer to control the openings. The lower portion from the brake stow to the toggles is "variable" and probably should be adjusted so you get the best control range with your toggles.

Adjusting the lower portion will not (or certainly should not) affect your openings at all.

It is NOT recommended that you change the length of the upper portion outside of the manufacturer's spec. for the canopy.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It has been my experience that if you put the brake setting further up the brake line, the canopy will tend to open slower and when it does open, it may be in a stall causing what could be a very funky opening.
On the other hand if you put the setting closer to the toggle, the canopy may open faster ie.. harder. not only that, the canopy will have more forward speed sooner, reducing the time you may need should you open to close to some one and need to take evasive action.
I don't wish to imply that what I have said will hold true for all canopys.
Your best bet will be to call the manufacture and ask their opinion about this

Interesting. Would you say your experience is based on a specific type of canopy? I.E. Base canopies?

In jumping several sport canopys with the brakes unstowed, I find the openings are MUCH slower. I.E. 2000 ft opening from a Heatwave 120. The Eclipse/Icarus Tandem canopies have no brake stows to promote softer slower openings.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Actually yes. most of my experience in this matter is on base canopys. However I have been unfortunate enough to have suffered one opeinig with the brakes unstowed while skydiving and got my clock cleaned. As you can imagine, I've been reluctant to experiment further with this and no one has offered to be a test dummy.