d123

FreeFly clown suit

Hey Guys,

I got this stupid cotton belly fly suit with no booties and it gives me what it feels like a binaray range (lift or no lift). I mostly free fly with tunnel suits but the old-school 1Olav clown suit really atracts me:)Any of you have an idea where can I buy a nice freefly clown suit like the old school ones that were used in the begining of freefly? I really feel like clowning in my sky:P

Another question: I've noticed that the clown suit is not that tight. Would that change something in flying or is just me projecting?

Regardos,
Senor Jean-Arthuro D'eda.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Talk to SimonBones on here... he is wearing that huge old school suit in the center fold in September's Parachutist. It will effect your flight big time, not to metion it will make flying pretty difficult if you have a lot of suit to fight and you're an inexperienced flyer. It will slow you down a LOT. I am the other flyer in the picture with Simon, and my split head up position that I am in has a fall rate of around 125-130 (I'm really floaty in that freefly suit) and Simon was able to match that fall rate head down in that suit while the photographer (The111) was taking the shots on his belly! So, yea... imagine how slow that suit makes you!

You can check out other pictures from that jump to see him head down matching me in that suit... he did some wicked flying, and the suit looks cool....a blast from the past! B|

http://www.matthoover.com/gallery/skydiving-photos/2009-07/

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Thank you Ms. Wings,
So they slow you down but ... how do they feel compare with the slick free-fly suits? Do you feel you have less control range or more or the same? (Criptical question, I know :P)

Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Less Control, because the drag is increased so much you can't hold your arms or legs as wide for as long like a suit with less material.

Certainly would impact fall rate on big ways, VRW, or Sequential stuff. And your ability to perform these disciplines efficiently.

We used to control fall rate with excess fabric, now we control fall rate with skill and technique.

Larger Folks (5'10 / 200 Lbs) may still need a little extra fabric to maintain a fall rate with a small person (5'2" / 100 Lbs).

These really baggy are more of novelty fun than anything else. They don't make your flying any better or help you learn anything. They make it much harder to fly! Imagine trying to freefly inside a washing machine. Big suits like these just thrash you around and beat you up, much less control! But the plus side is that you can use them to do some silly things if you ave the skill in the first place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lihAHNZiMIQ

In order to slow your fall rate down enough to fly with belly flyers it requires continuous movement or max lift (in tunnel speak). When you're all out for max lift it can be very exhausting fighting the drag on your limbs and I frequently land out of breath and very tired.

I got mine from an older jumper who happened to have a vintage one from the 70's in a box, I believe it was called a Brand-X suit. There were only 5-10 jumps on it in 30+ years. These vintage ones are a bit harder to find and people aren't very willing to give them up, but you can try. Another thing to try is calling up someone like Tony who has been making suits for a long time. I'm sure he made some of Olavs suits. If you ask Tony about remaking some old vintage suits it probably wouldn't be too difficult.

Good luck :)

108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

That's an awesome video Simon!

Here's my genuine ex-Brian Germain clown suit but I call it that more for the colors. I'm floaty as it is & it's really floaty. I had trouble doing 4 way video in this suit because I was too floaty.

I'm not great at FF yet so I'm not sure if this applies to anyone else (Simon's video would suggest not) but I found it really hard to sit in this suit because there's so much drag on the legs.

Not exactly a clown suit but close. ;)

These really baggy are more of novelty fun than anything else. They don't make your flying any better or help you learn anything. They make it much harder to fly! Imagine trying to freefly inside a washing machine. Big suits like these just thrash you around and beat you up, much less control! But the plus side is that you can use them to do some silly things if you ave the skill in the first place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lihAHNZiMIQ

In order to slow your fall rate down enough to fly with belly flyers it requires continuous movement or max lift (in tunnel speak). When you're all out for max lift it can be very exhausting fighting the drag on your limbs and I frequently land out of breath and very tired.

I got mine from an older jumper who happened to have a vintage one from the 70's in a box, I believe it was called a Brand-X suit. There were only 5-10 jumps on it in 30+ years. These vintage ones are a bit harder to find and people aren't very willing to give them up, but you can try. Another thing to try is calling up someone like Tony who has been making suits for a long time. I'm sure he made some of Olavs suits. If you ask Tony about remaking some old vintage suits it probably wouldn't be too difficult.

Good luck :)

Yea, +1 on everything Simon said. The only experience I have with bigger suites is when I worked at the tunnel and tried some of them out. Great for the lift, but like Simon said you'll be thrown around and you have to actually fight the suit.

I would suggest it to go out and have fun with like the examples with Simon's novelty jumps, but I wouldn't seriously consider it to wear on every single freefly or belly jump at all.

I have been to Tony's shop and seen a few vintage suits there. Get in touch with him. :)
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Baggy Freefly suits suck ass. Some reason back in the mid 90's rather than just tighten the suits back up, we got used to the over size turbulent flappy things. We flew great in our street clothes so it should have been a clue.

They're great for range if you need it but that's it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto