moto89

Back tracking

Coming from a small drop zone, I get to do plenty of solo tracking dives, and lately I've been working on back tracking. I can hold a solid back track and change headings, but I have a tendency to drop head low and have a super high fall rate. Is this just because the air I would normally be "cupping" with my chest & shoulders is now spilling off of my rig/back? If this is the case, or even if it's not, does anyone have some tips for keeping my head from going low and becoming a meat missile?
Less talking, more flying.

First the disclaimer - be careful tracking on your back at low jump #s. It's harder to keep a heading and remain altitude aware. I would suggest to anyone starting to back track to go out with someone more experienced when practising for the first few times to make sure you're not going around in circles.

As for not dropping out the sky, back tracking is a bit of a black art, and takes a bit of practice to get right. Optimal position is to have your hips up (like arching at the sky), and your head right back so it cups the air... almost like you're looking more in the direction you're going. If you look more towards your feet, then you'll bend at the waist and increase your fall rate.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

Learn to backfly stable in a tunnel, After that get a proficient fellow skydiver to track belly above and directly to the side so you have a point of reference to cue off. It also helps to perfect your barrel rolls in the tunnel so you can reference your track to the jump run when solo. An exit into a back track straight out the plane will also serve as a point of reference to ensure straight tracking. Simply watch the plane for awhile as you stabilize into a track.

A fun dive flow is: arms crossed legs straight roll onto back, then gently widen legs and point toes coming off the hill. As you track uncross arms and place them at your sides as you arch to cup air behind your back and tilt your head back as well.

Once you're in this position you can make minor adjustments by feeling the airflow.

Subtlety is key with movement as is a willing partner. Trade-off positions one belly dive then switch off to back.

This was shown to me by a more experienced diver and helped me alot.