rhino

Mod to crossbrace the nose of a canopy??

It a Hmod... Howard Adam's (now at JumpShack) created it. On new canopies with a mostly closed nose it won't help.

Its great on canopies that are a generation behind... Sabre, Stiletto, Heatwave, Cobalt, etc...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Its adding of the bracing across the openings in the open nose canopies that is the cross bracing effect. The mostly closed nose canopies (Velocity, FX, Xaos, CF2, etc) have the smallest inlet possible already.

If you need more ridigity then a mostly closed nose can offer step toa full Crossbraced canopy or possibly look at an Airlocked canopy. The Airlock adds bracing to the nose to a point.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

then what conclusion have we arrived at here? is the X-Fire nose too small for an HMod to be applied? what transition would be practible after outgrowing, or progressing to another canopy at a wing of 2.0:1 to 2.5:1 wing loads? should a jumper transition to a fully crossbraced canopy, or try something else first? airlock? or just drop square footage and fly a higher wing? of course how small in square footage can a canopy be before it is fully crossbraced? i think canopy manufacturers should entertain the idea of creating a high performance canopy that will fly "small" i know it takes a lot to change the planform, and canopy size dictates the effectiveness of crossbracing and HMod noses, but i'm looking for an answer to keep low time jumpers from "pounding in" policing the DZ and setting wing load BSR's is a joke. we've got to do something else, soon.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Well, first of all, "low time jumpers" don't have any business flying any canopy in the 2:1 wingload category. If a person did have the experience to be jumping at that wingload, and had wrung every bit of distance/performance out of their "standard" type canopy, then yes, they would start looking into crossbraced canopies.

Well, being a low-number jumper myself, i can't really talk into that (and don't want to).
BUT I've seen this innovative new R.A.G.E. design (search the forum with the name including the dots, i'm too lazy to do that now...), which keeps the nose completely closed and has the intakes on the bottom side of the canopy. It's actually not a nose but a closed leading edge.

Or did i get something wrong and post completely off-topic? Oh my...;)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Well, first of all, "low time jumpers" don't have any business flying any canopy in the 2:1 wingload category.

Chuck:

i concur. that said, it doesn't matter what a low time jumper should/should not be doing, they're doing it anyway. my posts was an inquiry to solicit information and advice. my whole objective is to save lives and heighten safety awareness through great training and competant support during gear selection regarding low time sky divers. a colleague of mine and myself are in the developmental stages of a concept that will hopefully help us to achieve this objective. hopefully we can make a difference with this concept, instead of arguing about wing load BSR's and who's flying what and why, instead of litigation we must try to "make a difference" with a proactive project.

"It's All About Living"
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"