Juzernejm

base vs skydive tracking position

I would venture alot of the BASE tracking video you may be looking at has people using some form of tracking pants. In my experience tracking pants are more effective with a somewhat wider stance simply because legs together doesn't allow the pants to fill completely thus reducing the surface area of the pants.

Just my 2 cents.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

After seeing Steve Curtis on a few tracking dives flying in his favorite slot (a couple feet above and ahead of the leader, and videoing back between his legs) I started playing with a wider legs and arms tracking position, and am fairly certain that it's a more efficient position (for me anyway - ymmv).

Canuck

A more open stance is more efficient because you are covering more surface area with your body. even though you have gaps between your legs and between your arms and side, by presenting yourself more to the air you can develop a better flight.

After seeing Steve Curtis on a few tracking dives flying in his favorite slot (a couple feet above and ahead of the leader, and videoing back between his legs) I started playing with a wider legs and arms tracking position, and am fairly certain that it's a more efficient position (for me anyway - ymmv).

I'm not sure you can compare 'efficiency' on your average tracking dive.. very rarely is the dive maxing out (at the end on occasion) and so body shape/weight has more to do with your 'position' in the dive (i've often had to use VERY inefficient tracks to get where i wanted to be as my height/weight gives me a natural advantage) than how efficient your actual body position is....

anecdotal evidence isnt of much value here.. there really does need to be some controlled experiments done before such general statements can be supported...

Dude, how are you telling me how I track best? Efficient is pretty simple to me in terms of tracking - go far and fast sideways, and not far and fast down. I'm telling you that I achieve this best in a more wide position. If you want to track with your legs together and your toes pointed, have at her.

Canuck