gerv

packing the pilot chute

hey,
yeah, yeah, I know an old subject, and I HAVE searched the forums first. So not being a 'troll'
I have just got back from the DZ and been shown YET ANOTHER WAY to fold the pilot chute.
Has anyone a picture sequence (easier to visualize) of their preferred sequence.
<>

I have been told about having the knot and the hacky next to each other/avoiding monkey fists/a method that proves PC is cocked... the list goes own, frankly I am confused now!!!:S:S
I want to own a rig now and feel I should not only how but why[:/]
If someone has the time (to either give a decent description/photo sequence with explanation) it would be both valuable and greatly appreciated.
Sorry if this seems trivial etc.
cheers
g;)

I've been taught that folding the bridle on top of the mesh will increase the wear on the mesh, as on every pc deployment the bridle will be pulled straight while in contact with the mesh. However, it seems that none of the major manufacturers worry about this much, as most of the manuals I've seen recommend a method in which the bridle is folded on top of the mesh.

Attached is "my" method of folding the pc, as well as a couple pics from the Vector manual. The Brian Germaine method mentioned earlier in this thread also keeps the bridle away from the mesh.

So, am I worrying about nothing, and the thing about the bridle wearing out the mesh is just another urban paralegend, or is there room for improvement in the manufacturers' manuals?

Gerv me old china hows you?

Anyway, there are a million and one methods of folding a pilot chute. You have already mentioned one of the most important things to bear in mind. i.e. having the knot and bridle exiting at the handle end.

I'll show you my method the next time you're around. Its pretty similar to the big air sports method.

Tom

been sent the new link.
http://www.bigairsportz.com/pilot-chute.php
cheers spy
hope this helps someone else out there.

I like that method of packing the pilot chute, but do have one question. From looking at the pictures it is not really clear where inside the pilot chute he stows the excess bridle.

Anybody?

I would not recommend your method.

Thnik of a horseshoe mal or any other setup with pull on the bridle. If the bridle comes out of the PC at the opposite end of the BOC, there's your monkey fist.
You can simply verify this by folding it this way into the BOC, then pressing down the opening spandex and pulling the bridle. You will notice the PC knotting to a fist under your hand, making it harder to pass through the spandex.
See my other reply in this thread for the better way ;)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I use a slightly different method, breaking down like that:

step 1: Lay PC flat on floor, handle down.

step 2: pickup bridle attachment and lay it on the edge of the fabic.

step 3: fold the fabric over into a half-moon.

STEP 4: Fold the handle over to the bridle attachment.

STEP 5: S-fold the bridle and lay it on the fabric.

STEP 6: Fold the fabric on the bridle stow, so that there are two folds coming from left and right, meeting in the middle above the stows.

STEP 7. Stow in BOC.

This way the PC will come out by itself, if there is substancial drag on the bridle, basically reducing the risk of a horseshoe mal as the main will deploy.

EDIT: Don't get a wrong impression, there has to be a strong pull on the bridle to get the PC out. Anyway, bridle attachment and hackey/handle should be on the same (opening!) side of the BOC.
;)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

So, am I worrying about nothing, and the thing about the bridle wearing out the mesh is just another urban paralegend, or is there room for improvement in the manufacturers' manuals?

Yes, you are worrying about nothing, regarding the mesh. I put 900+ jumps on my pilot chute before replacing it because the F111 was getting too porous and the kill line had shortened too much to fully cock. I always put all of my bridle line in there with the mesh. The only damage I had to the mesh, which was not much, was caused by catching it in stickers/bushes on the ground after landing.