FFlyer

Headdown Carving

So im trying to learn how to carve on my head and am looking for a few tips or techniques used to carve.

I did a few jumps this weekend where I was able to carve a 'big' circle round two other freeflyers doing a 2way. But I want to be able to carve around just one person flying a base and keep the circle relatively small.

I was told that you need to combine a side slide with forward movement. Ive got no problem with forward/backward movement but I cant really side slide yet. So if you have any tips on side sliding please let me know.

Also, if there are any solo drills I can work on to help with carving that would be great. (and also how to stop on heading). But im guessing it would be best to just get someone to fly base and carve around them.

Thanks for any advice,
cheers

If you are trying to carve in your avitar (not sure if you are) it looks like you should use more legs and relax the arms. Relaxing the arms will allow you to take grips and add to things you can do while carving (hand on head, hands on head, grab foot, double grip w. another carver as you orbit around someone going up and down, etc.).

If you check out the 1st photo (PaigeMickHD2) of Mick and I carving in AZ, you'll notice that our legs are engaged. In the tunnel you engage the legs also to create lift but in AZ you def. don't need to create lift as they have all the air you could ever need :)
In the second pic (PaigeHDMickStand), I'm carving but you'll notice my legs are less engaged and positioned for faster flight/carve, my arms also follow suit (always remaining mobile w. both arms and legs is key for me).

Not sure if this helps or is completely retarted, it's late, I'm tired but can't sleep. Sorry if this was worthless.:D:S:D

Edited to add: it is tough to carve around a fixed object. I did find that carving w. someone else as my point of reference did make things easier.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Ok, thanks for the responses. Ill try and get a few jumps done with a coach who can also carve since you have both said that its easier than carving round a fixed object.

Paige - nope im not trying to carve in my avatar, thats just a pic of me doing a linked 2way HD exit and still on the hill :P. But thanks for the tips. What im still a bit confused about is what exactly I must do with my legs? Ive seen pics where it looks like the person has one leg slightly more back than the other which kind of makes sense to me to create that 'offset' angle to start carving. Or am I completely on the wrong track here?

Im just trying to figure out what exactly my legs need to be doing other than driving me forward.

Thanks

Im just trying to figure out what exactly my legs need to be doing other than driving me forward.

Thanks

Ok...I'm going to jump in and tell you what I do so you can take it or leave it at that. I'm not sure exactly what I do in the sky because I have only done it a few times and did not think about what my feet were doing. Chances are it was similar as in the tunnel because of muscle memory. Anyway, In the tunnel my legs are bent a bit but that is more for lift which you don't need so much in the sky. Basically you use your legs to drive forward and also you turn your feet sideways a little so that your heels are facing the direction you want to carve. The angle, relative to the wind, of your feet deflects air and drives your feet in a direction which helps you fly sideways. But like I said that's what I do in the tunnel and this is the freefly forum so take it or leave it.

One other note is that its definitely easier to do with someone who already knows how. You might start out just turning in place keeping eye contact but eventually you will start driving forward and turning which is basically the components of a HD carve.

Laura

CANOPY COURSE Video Training with Brian Germain at AdventureWisdom.com

Ok to give you a better idea of what I mean here is a picture. Since we already have the lovely Paige as our model I stole one of her pictures because it was the best example I could find. I hope ya don't mind girlie.

Its subtle but made more clearly here because there is no suit. Ok hopefully no tunnel coaches will take me out for sharing the family secrets. If you see she is carving right but her left trailing foot is sideways and a little lower with her heel cutting into the air. You would need a whole lot less of this for the sky but the concept is the same. But there are many ways to make yourself turn or fly sideways so it might be different for other people. Some use their feet by pressing more on the opposite side but you can also use your arms by cupping air and pulling yourself. With HD carving the slicing heels seems to work well…in the tunnel. As I said before I should probably stick to posting in the tunnel forum so take it or leave it.

CANOPY COURSE Video Training with Brian Germain at AdventureWisdom.com

Ok to give you a better idea of what I mean here is a picture. Since we already have the lovely Paige as our model I stole one of her pictures because it was the best example I could find. I hope ya don't mind girlie.

Don't mind at all girl. I've been super busy as I just started a new job this week and have the event this weekend. I've had to cram 40 hours of work in to 3.5 days and take care of event things that were not handled by others. I'm so looking forward to the event and flying. I need air time bad.

I flew Orlando the other day w.o a suit and they must have had the air cranked way higher than it was in Eloy because man was it easier to fly! Just jeans and a ls t-shit (my SVAZ shirt- ironically the only other place I've flown w. pants and shirt).

Back to the topic: listen to La she know's her shit and is an amazing flyer. If you can do it in the tunnel you can do it in the sky w. minor adjustments. I generally use my heels to guide my direction carving but I like to change it up to be proficient at using arms and legs/feet. Using the arms more comes in handy when you want to change directions carving.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Hey, thanks for all the tips. Ill give the heels idea a try this weekend and see how that goes. :)
The weekend after this one im probably going to a different dropzone where there are some good freeflyers so ill try get some coaching with someone there who can carve already.

Thanks again!!

Had to show off a cool picture Jason Jerusalem took at our event Tunnel 4 Paws 2 way carve in Orlando.

Ari's got great body position, be sure to check his out if you are still struggling w. the back carve. You can really see how and where he catches lift on the back of his calves, even on the way down (gotta stop some how). You can also see how his feet are engaged and look a little different than mine. Once you get the feel, play around w. stuff like that to help you turn, spin, go wider, go smaller, etc.

How are things going for you?
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Thats an awesome picture!!

My carving is getting a bit better thanks. Im trying to make the diameter of the carve smaller and smaller each time I try it. My goal is to obviously be able to carve round one stationary person, but im not quite there yet...

I still need to be a lot more controlled while doing it.

Baby steps :P

cheers

My goal is to obviously be able to carve round one stationary person, but im not quite there yet..

When you figure out the one person, be sure to try this (see attachment)! There are 3 of us, but Ari and I generally only do it with just 2. It's much easier with 3 carvers, less burble and reaching for the grips.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com