jimbellew

Atmonauti question

No, your vertical speed is still much greater than your horizontal speed. Based on that logic, if you were flat then you wouldn't fall at all and only move horizontally. It also does not take the upper winds into account.

Try it out - take a CD case, hold it at a 45 degree angle and drop it, see what happens...
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

The logic I am basing it on is that I thought that with atmonauti the relative wind hits the atmonaut head on. For air to come head on at 45 degrees to the horizon, the air hitting him vertically must equal the air hitting him horizonatally.

For that to happen the atmonaut's vertical speed must equal horizontal speed and hence distance travelled vertically must equal distance travelled horizontally.

The logic I am basing it on is that I thought that with atmonauti the relative wind hits the atmonaut head on. For air to come head on at 45 degrees to the horizon, the air hitting him vertically must equal the air hitting him horizonatally.

For that to happen the atmonaut's vertical speed must equal horizontal speed and hence distance travelled vertically must equal distance travelled horizontally.

The diagrams you may have seen on the website can be a bit misleading. The relative wind does not hit you head on when you're flying atmo...your body may be positioned at 45° (or thereabouts) to the horizon, but the angle of attack is definitely not zero.

However, the airflow around your body does feel a bit like headdown flying and makes it seem like you're gliding down instead of pushing on the air to move forward. Does that make it clearer?

What is an atmonati?

check out www.atmonauti.com

the relative wind does in fact feel as if it is coming straight on.

i have a atmonauti dvd (well 2 actually) and they are doing big way (6+) head down atmonauti and flying with an aircraft on a 45 degree angle in freefall amazing shit they can even dock with the aircraft. it should explain it all in the website. buy the dvd amazing you can do everything in atmo. and get a longer jump and open higher than you normally do.

more bang for ya buck.:ph34r:

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Probably more like a tracking jump as some horizontal distance is covered, hopefully with a track 90 degrees off jump run.
Where in the exit order depends on the size of your group and how many seconds it will take for everyone to get in position. with big groups we've gone out first and absolute last. With smaller groups you fit in the standard FF order based on size. Two separate groups on the same aircraft make thing interesting but no more interesting than two wingsuit flocks or two separate tracking groups. Ya gotta keep em separated.

The whole idea behind Atmonauti is to fly at the angle that puts you head first or feet first into the relative wind. This allows you to do head down or head up relative work others in a tracking dive because the divers burble ends up being behind them. So, everybody at the plane of flight gets clean air.

Cheers

The whole idea behind Atmonauti is to fly at the angle that puts you head first or feet first into the relative wind. This allows you to do head down or head up relative work others in a tracking dive because the divers burble ends up being behind them. So, everybody at the plane of flight gets clean air.

Cheers

The problem with that theory is that in order to be descending at an angle, there must be lift. In order for there to be lift, there must be an angle-of-attack. If the jumper is hitting the relative wind directly head-on, or directly feet first, then he is descending vertically.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Since I have yet to try it, this is a theoretical discussion. However, from what I've read and the pictures I've seen, I tend to disagree. The plane of flight is perpendicular to the line of flight. Everybody should have either their head or feet, depending on which way their flying, on that plane. This arrangement allows eveybody to catch clean air and prevents anybody flying directly above or below each other.

I think the lift comes from two factors: One, the strong arch of the atmonaut; and two, the angle of attack. It is an explicit goal of Atmonauti to maximize the arch and minimize the angle of attack.

So, if the Atmonauts perform their unique tracking disipline in a skillful manner, I believe that most of the lift comes from the arch and accordingly that the angle of attack is small, prehaps even negligible. This means the each persons burble would be mostly back along the line of flight rather than directly above each one, thus allowing the vertical head down type of relative work on the plane of flight.

Cheers