Evelyn

Learned to sit...now what?

That is the progression.

Sit.
Movement forward and back
turns
cartwheels left and right
flips

Do all of those without bobbling or corking at all.

THEN you get to move to the hard AggieDave drill dive.:P

Take a pullup chord with you on a dive, get into a sit and pass the chord from hand to hand outstretched infront of you. Once you can do that back and forth, do it behind your back.

Once you can do that slowly and be stable, then you can take a dock how ever you damned well please.

Then work on your HD. Once you have your HD and can do those things, learn how to cartwheel back and forth between your HD and your sit.

right now I'm still stuck on the HD stuff and I've been doing the FF thing off and on for a while.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

A pull up chord, what you pack with, a packing ribbon. If you drop it during freefall it does no harm, but you still have an object to pass back and forth between your hands to teach your body how to fly without needing your hands, but using your legs for stability.:)

Can you just come jump with me and show me?

Naw, trust me, there are MUCH better FFers then I am and much better FF coaches then I am. MUCH better.

Basically I laid out my own progression to you, I've found it to work really well and thought you might benifit from it. Its the whole progession, it'll take a lot of jumps to accomplish those things, but I bet you'll find the same results I did. I can sitfly and hold weird docks, foot or hand and not worry about corking or bobbling. Once I get my HD ramped up (just haven't been doing any HD jumps to practice lately), then I'm going to continue my progession. I'm sure it'll yield similar results to what my progression did for my sitflying. I hope it will help you with the same. :)

Lets see...how to cartwheel. Get in your sit and lean in a direction, bring an arm in, stick a leg out and let the air take you. It sounds much harder then it is, just go try it, trust me.;)

Hey Evelyn,

I see you jump at Perris, you have some of the best free fly coaches in the world on the DZ every day. Talk to Eli, Mike or Jon, they are amazing flyers and just a few jumps with any of them will improve your skills dramatically.

Get coached and then go drill the stuff they suggest. I coached with them while i was at Perris and my flying is so much better for it.

Also get on the loads with the Load organisers, guys like Chris, David Gershfeld, etc are also damn good and have some great suggestions for newbie freeflyers. I was at the same level you are now when i arrived at Perris and the information and skills i gleaned from the experienced jumpers on the DZ has proved invaluable to my progression.

Good luck!
PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

You are absolutely right, We have awesome freefly coaches at Perris, and I intend to use them eventually. Wanted to first work on my basic stuff and then do coaching once I have the basics down and have specific things to work on.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

YES!
Use a coach now and your progression will improve much faster.
I started w/ 2 coach jumps and then worked on all the input from him on my own for many jumps. Then went back to him to shine up what I was doing.
And progressed onto more good things to work on.
It will really help out w/ your safety as well.
Enjoy!!!! -Cause this stuff kicks ass!!!

You've got it the wrong way round. Learn the basics from a coach, then practice what they taught you. You haven't got anything to practice yet.

And please; learn the basics about the kit that saves your life, or you wont be able to tell when it's about to kill you.

Also, get video as often as you can afford it/finagle it. It really helped me to actually SEE what I was doing so I could correct any problems.

I've also found it helpful to do this: if you have a job/life where your Mon-Fri week is filled with loads of sitting in a chair, try sitting in your chair the way you should be sitting in the air. Don't worry about your arms, but concentrate on keeping your back straight, your legs spread a bit more than shoulder width apart, thighs at 90 degrees from your body, knees bent 90 degrees and then try putting a steady, even pressure on your feet for about a minute at a time (without leaning forward), just enough so that you feel slightly less pressure on your bum. Do that off and on throughout the course of your day and it will help to build muscle-memory of what you need to be doing in the air. It helped me get stable in a good position faster.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

You've got it the wrong way round. Learn the basics from a coach, then practice what they taught you.

Actually I did have a coach to learn the basics. I did 10 coaching sessions, each with video. But they were tunnel sessions, not in the air. So what I was planning to do now is go up and practice what I learned in the tunnel, since it's going to feel a little different in the sky, then go get some more coaching, only next time in the air instead of the tunnel. All I've learned so far is just basic sit, turns, forward & backward. And it's kind of hard to practice forward & backward in the tunnel since limited space.

And what's one of the best ways to practice forward/backward movement? Sit flocking!

It has to be one of the funnest (if there is such a word) ways to perfect your forward drive. Ask one of the LO's to put a sit flock dive together (David G loves them), i found these jumps were one of the key things to perfecting my drive in the air :)
Also, do some two ways with someone you know can fall straight down the tube. Don't worry about taking docks yet, just follow them out and practice flying relative to them, aim to sit solid right in front of them till break off. That way you'll know whether you're backsliding or moving around in the air. Plus it'll give you a chance to practice your movement.

Just remember, slow is fast and fast is smooth.

Then like Dave said, move on and do the patented "Aggie Dave Pullup Dive" - that is, imo, one of the best drill dives there is.

fly free
PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Thanks. Great advice. Hopefully I will do a jump with JP, but then am off to Chicks Rock boogie where I don't know what I'll be doin, some RW, some FF, helicopter jump. Whatever, I'm excited.