Zoter

Head down launch ...help

Just starting out learning head down flight and looking for some ideas ( from experienced and also those learning as well) for nice launch techniques that may help me get stable in HD a little quicker off exit.
Im FF1 and happy with my sit ....but Im just HD experimenting at the mo...so looking for some nice HD launches I can practice on my solo freeflies

( Edited to add....Planes jumped at mo = Porters, Grand Caravans, Lets , Dornier's)

Cheers all...!

A good exercise that helped me a lot was to not exit in HD, but in a sit (as it's a comfortable and well known position). Turn 90deg to jumprun and transition to hd. Feels weird, unstable, uncontrolled? Back to sit, relax, try again. Worked wonders for me instead of having a flood of info splashing over me at a hd flower exit (with a "coaching" buddy).
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I know no-one ever wants to hear this, but get proficient in your sit first. You'll regret neglecting it eventually. Launch on your head all you want, but make sure you get the sit/stand down (and once you do keep working on it)

Otherwise that thread has some good pointers. There is a serious shortage of GOOD sit/stand flyers. It's also WAY harder to do well (I'm talking multi point dives here) than HD ;)

You'd be surprised how many of the "big boys" are going back and working on their sit/stand stuff.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I know no-one ever wants to hear this, but get proficient in your sit first.

Totally have to agree with you there, and I sure didn't want to hear it. I found that bad habits I had sitting transferred right into my HD. Being able to do a cartwheel correctly would have helped a lot too.

There is a serious shortage of GOOD sit/stand flyers.

your not kidding.. i asked Omar about the possiblity of an upright big way record. He told me the FAI said stick with HD for the moment.... and that there were not that many people good enough in a stand...[:/]

my stand is rock solid.... but could always use more work.. i wish we could get more people to play upright on occasion.. HD is great, but its about full body flight right??

your not kidding.. i asked Omar about the possiblity of an upright big way record. He told me the FAI said stick with HD for the moment

Absolutely. I had a similar conversation with Dave Brown, with similar results [:/] They're right though, so many people rush off to HD once they get the basics of sit down. Many don't even try stand flying, let alone taking grips. With team training, I've been trying to take the sit/stand slot as much as possible. I like the idea of being able to comfortably sting a HD formation in a sit/stand.

HD is great, but its about full body flight right??

Definately! I know more than a couple of people who can run rings around a lot of people on their head, but can't even hold a solid/stable sit.

Omar is one hell of a stand flyer, you're lucky to have him around for questions :)
Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

What Ian said. It takes more jumps than you have to be good in a sit, at least it did for me.

When you get proficient enough in your sit and want to work on HD, use a coach. If you cant afford one, use flower exits for every exit while working on your sit. It will help you get oriented to the position and how it feels as compared to just thrusting yourself into it. Just rotate to a sit when you come off the hill.

Flower exit?
Could you elaborate some more on that?
Got any video or pictures of this exit anyone ?

Totally hear y'all about dialling in the sit before trying to dial in the HD......as I said earlier...just experimenting on my solo's

B|

Flower exit?
Could you elaborate some more on that?

Check out the picture in this post. That exit is used a lot.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Wasn't someone talking about trying a linked 10way sit (straight line) around Pitt recently? There would be just enough flyers around and cramming into the Abbotford Porter would allow for a well timed exit.
Don't know if anyone's still planning this, though...

Would definitely be cool.B|

I didnt hear about it, but I will defintely shoot vidoe for that exit, as there is no way someone wont smack the door or kick out out a pilot chute on exit.

Should be fun.;) Maybe ya'll can try this weekend out of the Otter at Abbotsford.

I think the general idea involved the Porter (best "door ratio";)) based there and not necessarily a linked exit (at least not all 10 flyers linked, just a base of maybe four...).
Just get everybody out as much on level as possible, then link up a nice line. probably everyone would do inside video of that one, assuming he's got a camera... :)

Just a bit of feedback folks......done about 10 more Headown jumps....this bit of advice is good.....helps take away the worry of hitting a heading right out of the door when you try a headown launch...

A good exercise that helped me a lot was to not exit in HD, but in a sit (as it's a comfortable and well known position). Turn 90deg to jumprun and transition to hd. Feels weird, unstable, uncontrolled? Back to sit, relax, try again.

At the moment...I can hold headown straight and stable down the tube....but not much else in that position.....whats really helped me is to STOP looking at the ground and feeding the 'arch' that goes with that.....and getting dem legs out wide (Thanks Wes Bell !)

This is going to be a long journey !....but I'm in it to the end...
Oh yeah....and a 170 -180mph average in a flappy suit....I gotta do something about that....I dont fancy speed skydiving and rubber suits just yet !!;)

Sounds like you might be a good candidate for the SONIC BEEF skydiving gang. If you're ever in our area (NC), or happen to jump with an existing member, just ask them to name you and then go get your hat. B|

Clicky Rules!
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.