vonSanta

Taking grips in a sit

I've been working on my sit for a few jumps now. A month ago, I got an opportunity to get 9 coached and videoed jumps in a row, and naturally took it B|.

Those coached jumps (didn't have to pay the instructors; was arranged through our national skydiving organisation, which rocks :D) really helped a lot. went from a slow, crunched position to one where I fall at the same rate as the others, decent angles, and where I can adjust my horisontal and vertical speed somewhat. Unfortunately, the camp is a once-a-year thing, which is teh suxx0r$.

Anyway. I've been fortunate that much more experienced people have been willing to jump with. On jump #111, my sister flew her foot to within a centimeter of my hand, thus enabling my pre-second toe-hold. In the absense of any skill taking grips with my hands, I resorted on my last jump to fly into a knee link with another jumper. Which made me want to learn how to take grips even more ;)

It was my sisters flying skills, not mine, that enabled the first pre-second toe-grip though. So I'm wondering; what can I do to practise grips in a sit? What should I be paying attention to? So far, I've been trying to follow the advice of my instructors and fly with my arse, thighs and feet as much as possible, so my arms are free. Not easy, but I can do a quick clap or two in front of the chest and still remain in a sit. Are there any more such exercises? My instructor
mentioned practising passing a virtual stick from one hand to another, and I've been trying this too.

Freeflying is getting really interesting now that I can (for at least part of the jump :P) maintain proximity with the others - especially my sis whom I jump with regularly. Helps that she's rock solid in a sit, of course, heh. If I could work out how to use my arms properly, that'd be *really* good.

Ugh, long post, sorry.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

When taking grips in a sit you need to compensate with the arm not taking a grip. Basically if you were to take a grip with your left hand then you'd need to move your right arm back as you move your left arm forward. Leaning back slightly will help this as well. You can also try digging your heels into the air a bit for some added pressure on the wind.

The best way to practice taking grips is to go up with a good freeflyer and have that person hold a base and present a grip for you.

The other really good way to practice is in a wind tunnel where you can break the move down. You can stand on the net and take grips so you can feel out just the uppder body. Then you can practice it in a sitfly position with your feet still on the net. Finally you can practice it flying off the net.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

What helped me was instead of trying to reach in front of me for the dock. I would get level with my target and turn into it, if your arms are going straight from the shoulders and bent 45 degrees at the elbow, your hand should pretty much run right into the target. Once you get the hang of that then move on to trying to take the dock in front of you. Also I find the dock in front of you is easier if you put the target a touch above head level.

Wind tunnel is excellent if you have acess to one, you can really feel what your body is doing when you go for the dock and then compensate. The most common is backsliding as you reach forward. Try leaning back slightly as you go for the dock. A good solid wide base with the legs helps so that you are flying less with the arms, and they will have more freedom. Also try to fly real close before taking dock then your arm will mostly be burbled by your legs and you wont need to compensate so much with the other arm.

Hey, got a drill dive that will teach you to fly with hands going everywhere.

Take a pull up cord up on a solo dive.

Get in your sit and pass the pull up cord back between your hands out in front of you. Do it smooth, and controlled. Once you have mastered that, try sticking a hand straight out infront of you and holding it. I bet you can do it.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Get in your sit and pass the pull up cord back between your hands out in front of you.

This is a good drill for learning to be able to fly while using your arms for grips, however you still may be driving forward or back sliding.

The next step up from this would be to have someone else in the air present a grip. You take the grip, turn 180 while still holding the grip, switch the grip to the other hand and turn 180 back to face them. Basically you would pass their hand from one of your hands to the other.

After that both flyers would do it at the same time.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com