Courteney

Headdown control!

Howzit! I did a pretty good headdown solo today, seeing as I hadn't jumped in +-3 weeks and before that I was doing alot of RW so haven't practiced much. Still getting into it. But I was really surprised and SUPER STOKED at how the jump went. I get quickly into the hd position with arms out to side and legs parted in forward split, (what's it called?), and I kept it for a few seconds but then I suddenly lost it, (legs fell over), is it because I tense up or what? I kinda forced myself back into it and then it was happy days. Picked point on the horizon and once I felt settled I copleted a 360, (I turn with my hands...is this right?), but when I tried to stop on heading I just spun faster. Any suggestions, control tips?
Blue Skies,
Courteney.
...drags me down like some sweet gravity!!!

The forward split is called either a Daffy or a Romeo. As far as why you corked ( lost it), it's really hard to tell as there are many factors that can cause it. It would probably take a video to tell. Anything from not relaxing to head, shoulder, chest, pelvis, legs position.... can cause you to cork.

You should not turn with your arms or hands. When you get to the point where you can dock, you'll have to learn to fly with your legs, since your arms will be holding on a formation. I saw a coach jump that Steve-O had a guy do and he made him keep his hands in front of him (like he was praying) the entire dive. This way student had to fly only with his legs and body, not his arms.

Probably your legs were causing the additional turn and they have a lot more turning power that your arms. Also I would work on the side by side leg position.

Cool man, thanks for the tip. I'll certainly give it a go. There are currently about 5 or six freefliers at my dz and only about 2 of those are any good at hd. So all I have to learn from is visualization, video's and practice.
Thanks again.
Take it easy.

I saw a coach jump that Steve-O had a guy do and he made him keep his hands in front of him (like he was praying) the entire dive. This way student had to fly only with his legs and body, not his arms.

THANK YOU for that anecdotal point. That is not something I'd thought of. I feel "pretty good" about my head-down, but this seems like a much better way to go about it. That said, once I get consistently stable in my sit and go back to head-down, I'll remember that and do the same thing.

Again, thanks.
-C.

With all due respect bro, I'm not slamming on you or anything, but I really don't think going head down is a good idea for a guy with 45 jumps. That's it, point made, I'm happy now. B|

Just looking out for you. :)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

With all due respect bro, I'm not slamming on you or anything, but I really don't think going head down is a good idea for a guy with 45 jumps. That's it, point made, I'm happy now.

Not taken as a slam at all. I appreciate it, in fact.

One thing I'll add is that any freefly work I'm doing I only do for a few seconds at a time. I'm into it and out of it rather quickly and only at high altitudes. I'm just trying to build stability. I am constantly checking my altimeter and always aware.

I've had other noobs ask me if I wanted to do a two-way and I've politely declined. Only head-down I've done w/ another person has been w/ my coach.

Not trying to be over-defensive, just letting you know that I'm looking out for myself (and the others around me, as well), too.

-C.

I agree with wrongway. However it is good to hear that you are being very selective about who you are flying with. First learn your sit. Pat Works refers to this as your VRW stable. It is a good platform to always be able to return to. As you feel yourself corking in a HD position you will find it easier to return to a sit quicker than to get back to your head without either massive corking or driving around like mad. Also remember to face 90 degrees of off jumprun to ensure you dont drive into the groups before or after you. And as always your best bet is to find a GOOD COACH. Good luck and have fun

BLue Skies,
DJ Marvin
Vertical Axi Entertainment

First learn your sit.

After reading another thread last night and picking up some good tips all around, I've decided that any solo work I do will be sits only until I get it down. No more head-downs or stands until my sit is stable and consistent.

Also remember to face 90 degrees of off jumprun to ensure you dont drive into the groups before or after you.

Always. It's not enough to just give good separation, you have to maintain it, as well.

find a GOOD COACH

I'm at a new DZ now and one of the other newbies I declined to fly with pointed me to someone who's got me setup w/ one of the best. Looking forward to getting his input, even if he decides, "Get X number of jumps, then I'll coach you."

Appreciate the tips/concern all around, guys.
-C.

No more head-downs or stands until my sit is stable and consistent.

The "no head down yet" rule is a very responsible one to set for yourself. Good job. :)
Remember, there's no such thing as "sit" and "stand". Those are just generally two different speeds of upright flying. There are many stages in between. If you focus on "I'm sitting" or "I'm standing", you're going to limit yourself to those two speeds, either really fast or really slow.

Think about it, when I'm flying head down, do I call out a difference between speeds as "wide legs" or "pencil"?? ;) Makes sense, doesn't it? B|

FWIW, I'm glad you're being smart and selective of who to do what with in the sky. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, keep it that way. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I agree with the others about trying headdown with 45 jumps. But RESPECT to you for having a responsible head on your shoulders at such an early stage in your falling career. If there were more new comers like you the sky would be an even safer place to be.
Enjoy.