skyjuggler

Alchemey Vertical / Group Camps

Has anyone been to one of these camps in the past, and if so how did you find them, and what did you pay for them?

I am particularly interested in people's experiences of jumping in Perris now that Alchemey have joined the Flyboyz there.

So please, share experiences and knowledge, I am planning on a trip there so would appreciate input.

Damn you, I thought you were gonna post about one coming up.....

I wanna do a vertical big way camp so bad I can taste it.....

Thats why I ask. Am planning on the one in Perris in April. April 24 until 28. Then hang out and check out the World Record stuff, must be plenty of good flyers to hook up with around this time.

check out www.freeflymegacenter.com

I went to the one in February. Though we were mostly rained out, the few jumps we got in were awesome. But just to warn you - these are not really camps in the typical sense. There is no prebriefing or debriefing. They are more an audition for the record bigway attempts. The pressure is on! You are jumping with a lot of world class freefliers all vying for a spot on the record. And you are expected to already have some big way experience and be able to participate safely. Have fun and be safe!

Fall in dove.

Nice post, that helps.

Sounds cool, I am looking forward to doing some nice jumps with some good flyers.
Not really interested in making 'world record attempts', not that I am probably good enough either! However as long as people aren't too up tight and there is a good vibe, I will be looking forward to jumping with some focused people. Nice. Looks like I am going to continue to learn, get plenty of good jumps in and check out the US scene. Just what I wanted:)

I kind of figured they'd be "tryouts" for the record attempt from what I've heard from my friends up high on the freefly food chain. :D:D

But are there any camps for people with not much big way experience to gain that experience?? Like I have some okay freefly experience but the biggest vertical organized dive I've ever done was a 6-way. Anything you can think of???

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I have a feeling that these camps are for group skills and learning but also they are used for screening to find people who might be suitable for big way records.

I myself have never flown a 20-way but have done quite a few 10-15ways, but reckon there should be people like myself just looking to jump, learn and enjoy themselves with a pretty good grounding level. I'm hoping there will be lots of people turning up to jump, and that the atmosphere will be good for meeting people and just jumping hard. I could be dreaming, but I hope not.
I am sure there will be people who are there with a goal to achieve of making a set group or standard. No problem, I am sure if it is run by the FLyboyz and Alchemey attitudes will be kept in check and that everyone will benefit.
If you want to do some group stuff you should go, I know others who are thinking like me will be attending. Its cool to get a group a people who want to jump, keep the same people and jump all day. 6-8 ways would be perferct all day long with some advice from the organisers.

These camps - and the one in April in particular - seem to be mostly a screening/auditioning process. We started right out with 16 ways and there was no tolerance for those who were not safe. i.e. if you go low or take out anyone in the formation you can expect to be excluded from subsequent jumps. And there were no seminars, briefings (pre or post) on any of the jumps.

So where to go to learn more big way stuff at a slower pace? I know Monkeyclaw will be doing some freefly big way camps this summer at Skydive Crosskeys in New Jersey. According to their website: "Big-way" camps will focus on skills needed for larger group flying - including exiting, getting to the formation, flying your slot and safe break-offs. Check out their schedule at www.monkeyclaw.com. Also, if the Flyboyz or Alchemy put on a camp AFTER the world record attempt they will probably more conducive to learning the skills needed to do big ways. Beyond that - just keep your ears open for gatherings that cater to big ways. I know they do some big way stuff at Summerfest every year (and you can bet your ass that I'll be there!) and Deland will be doing some big way stuff this Saturday, starting with smaller groups and getting bigger as the day goes on. Or why not generate some interest at your own dz? Let them know you are interested and maybe someone there (or someone who can be brought in for the next boogie) who can spearhead the project.

Fall in dove.

Cool, thanks for the info. I am sure I will not have the level for the world record, there are some very good freeflyers out there, and I am not a world champion. However, I am sure there will be people wanting to build up to the larger groups, and also those who do not make the cut, but who have a good solid level and group experience. I am looking for some nice safe and challenging jumps, I am sure there will be lots of people there like me too.

Personally, going straight for a 16 way with people I do not know, and not knowing the speed doesn't initially attract me. Will take it easy and play it by ear. If I feel happy and others do, then great. I'm in no rush and not setting myself any aims, apart from progressing and continuing my jumping.

One of the reasons I am coming to the US is to do larger stuff and check out a different scene. Thought 3 weeks in Perris at this time would be great. A 10 way (or any group jump) in my opinion is a serious jump, and deserves concentration and respect for certain points such as exit, slots, seperation etc... But that depends on how safe and how good a standard you set!

Can't wait, think it will be great what ever I end up doing. thanks for the background, will know a little more what to expect.

Hey James. No doubt you will have a kickass time no matter what. Mike Swanson said he expects about 100 people to be there trying to get on the world record. And as lofty as anyone's expectations may be for the record I'm thinking a 100-way won't happen this year. :P So there will be TONS of cool people there to jump with whether you make it onto the record or not! All those who are cut will still be wanting to jump their asses off so it's win-win situation. Just don't forget - if you want to be a part of the record you'll need to get your FAI card before you get there.

Fall in dove.